Barford – help with throttle cable?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford – help with throttle cable?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    I’ve nearly completed my first project but I am stick on one last thing: how to connect the throttle cable.
    Can anyone provide guidance on how to connect it up? I have taken photos of the cable and the carb.
    C

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Right, just been to the shed to take a few photos, 009 is the set up on my Barford 30, 011 and 015 are how the 15 is arranged. Looking in the parts list it appears the linkage on my 30 is missing the correct end on the cable at the carb end, it should be the same as the one on the 15.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Charlie,
    Thanks for your help. From your pictures there seems to be an extra spring on mine.
    There is a spring which tensions the brass governor lever. As you can see there is a bracket on my new cable but nowhere to fix it. Any suggestions?
    C

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

In the photo of your engine there is a small bracket on cowling near exhaust, if you look at photo of engine on my 15 you will see throttle cable is attached to this bracket. As far as I know the cable on my 15 is original, your cable looks different and may not be the correct one.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie,
    Thanks for helping with this – I have done what you suggest – (see photo).
    I can adjust the end of the cable but it looks like I need a wire or something to reach the lever. Does that sound about right?
    C

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

What’s missing is the governor spring which maintains the equilibrium between the throttle lever/cable that is trying to increase the speed and the internal governor mechanism that is trying to decrease it. Result, the governed speed.
    You may be able to obtain the correct spring (Meetens ?) or find one that seems to achieve a safe and workable speed.

charlie
    Keymaster

If you look at the photos of my machines you will see the spring.

vhgmcbuddy

I’m still struggling with this blessed throttle. As you can see in my photo I have a spring Attached now. The problem is that the engine is just over reving – if I slacken the cable or tension the spring it still over runs. If I pull the brass lever down the engine speed drops. This suggests that there should be tension pulling the lever away and the spring and cable is keeping the engine speed up.

I’m sure that it is something simple that I just don’t get but all suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I just looked at the picture – it’s nothing to do with the air filter is it? Should it be shut to slow the engine speed?

wristpin
    Participant

The L shaped lever is connected to the centrifugal governor within the crankcase and when the engine running should be opposing the pull of the throttle cable via the governor spring. With the engine running you should be able to feel the lever trying to close the throttle. If you can’t feel any reaction from the lever it’s possible that there is an internal problem but I would check and double check the external set up before ripping things apart.

charlie
    Keymaster

Have you tried running the engine without the throttle cable connected? If it runs without revving when cable is disconnected then the cable is the problem.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, every couple of months i get to spend a bit of time looking at forums.
    i also would appreciate some more pics of working setups of linkages, especially if known to be original.
    i am into Howards myself, but couldnt resist a Barford Atom 15 when i saw it at a local auction about 18 months ago, i think it was the neat decals got me…
    my cable has same shiny silver spring loaded inner cable returner / tensioner, as on Charlies 15, and also the Mechanical Gardener on another forum. it fell apart when trying to free it up, about 20 or 25 mm of the spring has rusted of and is still inside the tube. at first i thought your springs might be too big, but when i looked at mine again to get you some pictures, it is the same.
    most notable is that i have a small flat linkage in the U shackle part of shiny end. this linkage still has traces of red paint on both sides, so i like to believe it is original.
    motor also has a long fine threaded adjustable bolt with a small hole, presumably for a spring, in the centre mounting spigot. i expect there ought to be 2 tension springs connecting to the governor arm somehow. i think the Shez’ picture image17 must come close.
    some pics of my 15 and the shiny returner with linkage. the Barford has many more items in need of TLC…
    bye rmtalbany

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Sorted! When I reconnected the throttle lever I failed to turn the governor shaft to the right before tightening the nut. It’s running very nicely now.

All I need to do now is sort the leaky carb and find out why it stalls in high gear.

Time spent fiddling is time well spent!

C

Attachments:
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.