Australian Oddity

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

My mate Johnny Polish is in Australia and New Zealand at present chasing Series One Land Rovers when he came across this little gem at a museum in Wanaka. The engine is the little gismo on the side of the chassis driving the cylinder through a 90 degree drive. They always did do things differently over there, and to our eyes it does look rather strange. Enjoy the photo’s.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

The rear roller is a bit different too.

hortiman
    Participant

Hi Geoff.
    The Australian oddity, is in fact a Wolverhampton oddity!, It is a John Shaw ‘Governer’ mad in Wolverhampton in the early thirties I think. Watercooled 2 stroke engine fitted to the end of the cutting cylinder, they made other more conventional mowers too.
    I know where there is one, or where there was one not sure if it has moved on.

Chris

alan
    Participant

Well I would never have guessed that, well spotted Chris.

There’s some 1926 adverts in the gallery with a 22″ cut water cooled mower.

http://vhgmc.co.uk/photo-galleries/governor-john-shaw-and-sons/

Also I have a couple of 1924 adverts but they do appear to be of a different model to the one Geoff has photos of. Note that they have the same roller though.

From a bit of research I did a while ago many UK produced machines were exported to Australia.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

It just goes to show how much knowledge and information there is within the club. As many of you know, I’m in the mower trade and I’ve never even heard of this machinery manufacturer let alone seen any of it’s products.
    Well done to you both for the correct identification. I bet Johnny Polish will be surprised when he reads this!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.