Allen scythe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, I’ve just bought my first Allen scythe (and consequently just just joined the VHGMC!) I’m wondering about the age of the machine and particularly the engine type. The serial number stamped on the brass plate on the engine cover is 18787. From the googling I’ve done I’m guessing this probably makes it an early model, assuming the numbers were consecutive. I’m also guessing that, if the engine is original, then it might be an 11c but I don’t know how to tell. It’s certainly 2 stroke. Is there any particular feature which would help me identify it? Is there a list anywhere giving the Allen serial numbers and what years they were used?

At the moment all I’ve done is to spray all the nuts with WD40 but it’s going to need a full rebuild by the looks of it. I’m aiming to get it going by the time the grass in my orchard needs to be cut in July or August – I hope that’s plenty of time!

Any advice would be gratefully received. (I’ll post a “before” picture in due course)

ted20
    Participant

A picture would help as regards dating MERL at Reading has details of Allen Scythes on record

charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum, which is only part of the club, to be a full member you will need to pay either now or when free trial expires.
    WD40 is not the best product for freeing rusted nuts and bolts, something like Plusgas is much better as it is a proper penetrating fluid.

andyfrost
    Participant

Welcome , if it’s an 11C it will have a cast alloy cowling , pressed steel then it’s a 25C.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your replies. Here are some pictures. The cowling is alloy so I guess that confirms it as an 11c Andy. It’s nice to think it’s an early model but all the info I’ve seen has been for later models with the 25c engine. If anyone has seen any info on the 11c I’d be glad to know of it for example to confirm the timing setting.

It seems to be reasonably complete appart from the cover plate for the flywheel, which I’ll have to look out for. One of the dogs which puts pressure on the blade is broken and I guess I’ll need another one if I’m to get the adjustment of the blade right.

Thanks for the tip on plusgas Charlie, I’ll look out for some.

I’ve included s picture of the identification plate ted20 in the hope of getting it dated at some point.

Lots to do! Not making much progress currently as I put my back out getting the thing down from the back of the car! Blimey they’re heavy!

Thanks for the help.

Iain

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

I am visiting MERL next week (to continue cataloguing Geo Monro drawings) and will have a look at Allen Scythe information to get a date.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s great Charlie, thanks

andyfrost
    Participant

Deffo an 11C, nice and original , still retains the proper carb and fuel pipe.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Andy, still wondering about getting more info on it such as the timing setting and points gap, though I’m a long way from needing to do either!

I’ve seen copies of two manuals advertised. One for a T model and the other for a TS. I think the TS has the 25c engine, not sure about the T. Do you (or anyone else) know of a manual that revered to the 11c?

I’ve managed to source a couple of spare dogs for the blade so that one problem solved, once I manage to free up the adjusting screws, though I can drill out and re-tap if need be.

Cheers,

Iain

vhgmcbuddy

I found the attached wonderful leaflet from Allen. Amongst lots of other stuff it says that model numbers 1727 to 12000 denote a “Mk 2” machine,above 12000 are model T. Nothing specific about TS.

Cheers,

Iain

vhgmcbuddy

Oh dear, too big a document, I’ll have to see if I can make it smaller.

andyfrost
    Participant

Ian , I don’t think I can recall ever seeing a book on the 11C , the timing and points gap will be the same as the 24/25C.

Andy.

charlie
    Keymaster

18787 dates from 1946 according to records at MERL.

vhgmcbuddy

That’s great Charlie, thanks ever so much!

Iain

vhgmcbuddy

Making slow but steady progress with my restoration. Took the petrol tank off tonight, seems very robust though rusty. It still had some fuel in but it’s also got loads of gunky stuff in there which seems to be mainly rust. Anyone got any tricks for cleaning it out? The filler hole doesn’t give much access but there’s no other way in, I’m a but puzzled as to how I’ll ever get it clean.

Suggestions welcome!

Iain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.