A Conscientious Restoration

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects A Conscientious Restoration

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

That plate confirms that it’s got a JAP 5 engine supplied by Tractors (London) Ltd., which probably means that it’s the original one they fitted at the factory.

If it was a replacement engine supplied by the local dealer it would have the J.A.Prestwich Ltd. address at the bottom. This plate has the Tractors (London) Ltd, White House, Barnet address at the bottom so that they could make some extra money from the spares business. When the factory bought in the JAP 5 engines they used to remove the maker’s plate and substitute their own- the two were identical with engine starting instructions, etc., but when you got to the bottom it said “For spare parts contact Tractors (London) Ltd.”

The engine number for this engine should read: 5.T.60221.ST

Translated this means:- 5 = Model 5 engine
    T = Year manufactured, in this case T stands for 1946
    60221 = Unique engine number
    ST = Customer code for Tractors (London) Ltd.

I hope that’s of some use to you, Kevin.

kmacaoidh
    Participant

The Trusty restoration is still at a standstill, too many other jobs, chores and work pushing in! But the tractor, plough and attachments are in under a weather protective roof and on a solid dry floor. The Garage in other words! For the time being the Trusty must content itself with seeing the other working tractor going out to do the work for Spring.

The one thing that would benefit all involved is a good tidy up of the garage and sheds. But then, more room is a dangerous thing? Empty floor space or elbow room can allow a new purchase to enter the fold!

kmacaoidh
    Participant

And, so it comes to pass. I have been lucky enough to get my hands on a Jalo Wheel Hoe, with a good few sweeps, rakes, and attachments to go with it. A real find, and one that i have been seeking for a long time. I use newer ones at work, but aren’t they so expensive, for what they are? Still good at what they do, but are they any better than the older designs, like the Jalo, Planet Junior, etc? And do they have the sweep and range of the older attachments? If one could find those old work tools.

But my question here is? Have any of you experience with using these wheel hoes for ridge weeding, or scuffing, drills like potato drills? Or any even slightly elevated areas needing weeding?

The sweeps, hoes, etc all weed flat, but did these hoes, or other models come with frames to modify the angle, of attack, as it were?

Any suggestions welcome, but just like that, interested to hear any of your wheel hoe, Jalo, Planet Junior, and all, stories.

andyfrost
    Participant

I sill use my Grandfathers Planet Junior , for weeding in rows , getting VERY tight to your crops , it is simply unsurpassed IMO. I use a plough attachment for opening my Broad bean drills , again nothing else comes even close. As for ridging I would say it’s a bit undergunned.
    All in all it’s a tool I would not be without.

Andy.

kmacaoidh
    Participant

Andy, I agree completely with you. Almost all wheel hoes would be a pleasure to work with I’d say? I use a Glaser, with a stirrup hoe, in my place of work, and it halves the work involved. Im sure most other newer hoes are equally as good? Bar the few, poorly made ones.
    The Jalo I have recently acquired is truevto form, sturdy but light and easy to use. Like you, and today even, i was opening drill for broad beans and peas, with two opposite plough shares that make a perfect ridger when set up correctly.
    Rakes, sweep hoes, discs they all add to the versatility and pleasure of using them.
    I’d believe you when you say the Planet Junior you use is the best in your option, they are obviously well made, but look elegant, and probably may be that little bit more well proportioned for comfortable use? Your lucky to have your Grandfather’s Planet Junior.
    I have a Planet Junior no.3 seeder, its all there abd looks the part, but I’d say i either have to attune myself to its more subtle usage setting? Or it needs to be given a service by someone that knows what they are doing? The seed dropping, if peas and beans at any rate, is a bit random abd unpredictable? I think the problem may be the final little clicker lid that open where the seed drops out, that may be the problem. Its either a bit stiff or the spring, mechanism, is worn with years of use.
    But i digress. The wheel hoe question i had really, was, are there and fittings or modifications that allow using it to sweep alone lightly, removing those just emerged weeds, on ridges or drills? Not to do any actual heavy earthing up, just to keep that first flush of weeds at bay. Hoeing the sides if raised drills. It would save a lot of work with a hand hoe!?
    Either way, we will dream on. And its great to hear your endorsements and thoughts on all other things to do with these wheel tools.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.