1973 Allen Advert & prices

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion 1973 Allen Advert & prices

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

Found this 1973 advert today whilst sorting out some paperwork I’ve been hoarding.

19″ Rotary Mower – £43
    Ride-on mowers from £199 (5-8hp range)
    Motostandard 1010 from £439 (7hp or 8hp)
    Motostandard Cultivator £108
    Heavy Duty Rotary Mower £139
    Motor scythe from £199
    Motostandard Tractors from £515 (8-14hp range)
    1200 Triple Mower £1338
    Mayfield Grass Maintenance System from £298.00 (7 or 8 hp)
    Garden sweepers From £13.95

Note that the girl in the photo isn’t wearing hi-viz jacket or steel toe-capped boots!

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Old adverts are a great source of information, often more interesting than the articles in the magazines. The style of the adverts also show a bit of social history, eg changing fashion styles.I started my apprenticeship with what was then Post Office Telecommunications (now BT) in 1973 with a weekly wage of £13.99 if I remember correctly.

roatavator
    Participant

Now that brings back memories. In the mid/late 60’s I spent many hours behind the heavy duty rotary, cutting orchard grass. I seem to remember there was no clutch between the engine and the rotor, the rotor was one heavy piece of metal, and you developed good muscles pulling over the engine and rotor to start it. 3 speed Albion gearbox with reverse, if I remember correctly.

That was replaced when it wore out with the ride on mower, which did have a rotor clutch. You had to go to full revs before engaging the clutch, or the sudden load stopped the engine. In those days, no health and safety, you could set the revs, jump off and walk beside it steering if your backside was getting sore after a long day of cutting! Also 3 speed Albion and reverse.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.