Road Register a garden tractor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Road Register a garden tractor

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi
    Has anybody on here registered there garden tractor for road use ? weather it be on a age related plate or a q plate? How can this be done?

any help would be great
    thanks
    Tom

alan
    Participant

Tom

Members have road registered garden tractors before so it is possible!

As far as I remember if not requiring an age related plate then a V55 Form, Your ID, Valid Insurance (NFU etc) and some pictures of the tractor then take all the paperwork to a DVLA office.

An age related plate also requires either an original sales invoice or proof of manufacture and if it’s a non-UK tractor then proof of export may be required.

I’d check with the DVLA and the V55 form as a starting point – it may have changed. The V55 can be ordered from the DVLA website.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi SPoke to dvla office there not really keen on putting it on a q plate nowa days unles they really have to .I have been informed i need a age related (proof of age and manufacturing) letter from westwood. how the heck im going to get one of them i dont no.
    any help
    tom

charlie
    Keymaster

Tom, have a look at the FBHVC website there have been numerous articles in their recent newsletters about registering vehicles, it has got harder since closure of local DVLA offices. Do you really need to register it?

alan
    Participant

Our 1980’s commercial Jacobsen ride-on which is used every week was registered on to a Q plate about two years ago, needless to say it’s tyres have never touched the highway yet and I doubt they ever will! It’s nice to have a number plate on it but it wasn’t really necessary.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Don’t forget that once it’s registered you are then on the DVLA’s radar and they monitor whether you have insured the vehicle, got it MOT’d, etc. It’s easier to SORN the vehicle if you aren’t using it on the road to stop them sending you reminders/fines, but then that begs the question why you need it registered in the first place. They will also ask if the vehicle is adapted for road use, which is not an easy thing to do.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that it is that complicated to do these days it often isn’t worth the effort.

terrano
    Participant

When I registered a nuffield tractor, I went to DVLA site filled in registering a vehicle for the first time and worked from there. cost me £20 for local tractor club to verify age and check serial no. DVLA have a list of clubs they approve.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    I would like to road register my Mayfield Merlin, does anyone know where I can obtain the records or a copy of from?
    Many thanks

charlie
    Keymaster

I believe the factory records are now held at MERL, Reading University.

vhgmcbuddy

Right ho
    thanks Charlie

vhgmcbuddy

Hello

I have a westwood Gazelle I use to cart stuff to and from my allotment . I have it insured but it is not road registered I do drive it on the road for maybe a quarter of a mile. Housing estate roads so not busy It is on the road about once a week on average . I have a flashin beacon, lights and a proper horn that works I pull a small trailer . I was advised by the local plod when I asked , that I probably did not need VED as the vehicle was deemed for agricultural use. Oh yes they said if in doubt drive on the pavement!!!

Martinh

wristpin
    Participant

To be totally legal I believe that the Westwood must be initially registered and display the allocated reg number but after that it will be exempt from road tax but you may have to renew the exemption annually. That’s how it worked for the fork truck that we had and used to travel between two units on an industrial estate. That was in the days of the tax disc and every year we got one with “£ EXEMPT”.
    Insurance needs to be “road traffic act” not just public liability.
    Not sure how you stand with “construction and use” as if it has lights they must work and comply so perhaps best “not to have any”!
    AS for driving it on the pavement – no difference, the pavement is still part of the public highway.
    Worst case scenario is that you are proceeding around the estate in a semi lawful manner and a small child collides with you and is hospitalised. Parents contact “we take any case.com” and the S**t hits the fan.

charlie
    Keymaster

It is possible to get a ‘daylight only’ MoT, I believe on a vehicle without lights. So lights are not necessary so long as only driven in daylight. Huge can of worms.
    See my topic about possible changes relating to insurance and things will get worse.

frankie-flintstone
    Participant

Hello, I am new to this Group and I am also involved in the Autotruck Club who are registered with the DVLA for the purpose of acquiring Age Related Registrations,look at our site http://www.autotruck.org or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AUTOTRUCK-CLUB-208967702261/ for recent successes in this service, happy to help anyone obtain a Registration.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.