John Deere 332 and a plough

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines John Deere 332 and a plough

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    alan
    Participant

I’ve been slightly spurred on by Geoff creating the new ploughing pages for the website and I decided today that I’d get out my much under-used John Deere 332 and the plough and intend having a mess about with it this week.

The plough is really for a Merry Tiller but we modified it to fit on the back of the John Deere about 5 years ago but then never tried it. I don’t know what the results will be but it’s worth a try!

It’s been a very sunny and hot day so photos are not as clear as they could be.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello
    The problem is the weight: with a pedestrian you can push down on the handlebars with the whole driver’s weight but on a four wheels it’s impossible!

mickattwo
    Participant

The pictures are of a potato lifter not a plough

andyfrost
    Participant

Sorry , but that is most definately a Merry Tiller reversible plough.

Andy.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Quite a few of the plough makers in the 1980’s experimented with slatted mouldboards as a way of minimising the friction ( and hence the power needed to pull the plough) so that they could use a smaller tractor or add another furrow; this plough is one that was used on a very low-powered machine and so friction would have been a major problem. The slats also had a beneficial effect on the finished seedbed because they would break up the soil if you travelled fast enough, thus doing away with further costly field operations.
    It should do a good job- let’s see the pictures of the results, Alan!

terrano
    Participant

It may plough ok on an allotment or light stubble land but I don’t think it would plough grassland or heavy loam. (no disc or landslide) but worth a try.

alan
    Participant

Thanks for the input everyone, very helpful and good to have different ideas about how it may – or may not – perform. It might be a complete disaster!

I came across the Merry Tiller plough at York Machinery Sale, nobody wanted it and I purchased it and the accompanying wheels for something like £20. Oddly the chap that bought the Merry Tiller in the previous lot didn’t want the plough – perhaps he already had one. And that’s how I came to have the plough – it was either me or the scrap man!

I do have the proper Brinly plough for the John Deere (also fits my Cub Cadet 100) but I’ve never used it or even had it attached to either tractor – it’s been in the loft for many many years, I’ve just taken a photo of it in the dust and cobwebs. I also have a photo of a John Deere model on my shelf with the same plough attached to show what it should vaguely be like.

Back to the Merry Tiller plough, I just intend to break up some good topsoil that was put in a garden last week so nothing difficult for it. I did try it in the field where the grass has recently been cut and it dug in well and was fine. However as Terrano rightly commented it probably wouldn’t be the best choice for where the going was a bit tough.

Photos of the end result Geoff? Perhaps, maybe, we shall see! But it’s all good fun and great to use the machines we all have.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Another tag removed

dave
    Participant

Alan, Please bring the J D and plough to Weeley next September
    and we will find you a plot to try your skills out on.
    Dave.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I think you’ll find that he’s sold it, Dave. Nice try, though!

chap
    Participant

Here a few pictures of a JD that ploughed at a match at banbury in 2011 with a brindley plough it did quite a good job.

Attachments:
    franktonpaget
    Participant

Interesting discussion I wonder we do not see more Brinly ploughs although the digger body may not be ideal for a ploughing match.
    Attached is the front page of a Brinly brochure showing the plough,the plough seems to have a lot of width adjustment on the cross member and shows a rear depth wheel not shown on the other photographs in this topic

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.