Where will it end

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hdtrust
    Participant

And finally where will it end indeed!
    Top this one!
    I’m sure a lot have seen a certain Progress Tractor for sale recently,which I would say is definitely on the rare stakes.Some could say how do you price such a thing,others would say the Market as a habit of responding.
    Tonight Mr Wallingfield has gone looking for tie straps,its just rather fortunet he holds import and Export licenses.The tractor is going to Malawi to be used by a Charity on their Farms!

charlie
    Keymaster

That is rather appropriate as they were designed for the African market.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Reading those Allen’s activities It has made me ponder how employment has changed, how the Allen family with the decline of the steam manufacture and hire side of the company and in a period of economic depression they looked to developing other products to keep there workers in employment and such things as the Fairground rides and also electric hares for the new pastime of greyhound racing and so popular had that sport grown they made portable units for village fetes and fairs.
    The one development that was the big winner was the Motor scythe.
    The social side of things with sport clubs, produce shows etc and there are many articles on workers receiving presentations for 25 and 50 years service. It must have been a nice event for the chairmans wife visiting the works on the last working day before Christmas and to present all workers with a hamper whilst the directors manned the bar in the social club providing free drinks to assembled workers.
    The Road Locomotive Society produced a book “Allens of Oxford” for its 75th anniversary quite pricey at £25 but a quality publication and first class read

charlie
    Keymaster

I agree, the social history element of articles etc in Allens Activities is a real window on how things were. To think the directors were serving beer to the workforce whereas now drinking on the premises would almost certainly be a sacking offence. I also like the account of how timber was brought in from around the estate and stacked in the yard to provide fuel for the workers.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.