What could this JAP engine be off

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion What could this JAP engine be off

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, today I fetched a job lot of engines bought on a well know auction site, included were 3 “new” JAP 2 stroke engines, it looks like they have been run for a few minuets only as there is just a bit of burnt damage on the silencer and around the exhaust port, does anyone know what these could have been fitted to ?

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Look like a 16H model , they were fitted to Landmaster (150 model I think) rotavators , can’t recall seeing them fitted to anything else. I’m sure some of the lads on here will know of more.

Andy.

jtg1
    Participant

andy you beat me to it!!, thats twice this week. hope you had a good journey home

will-haggle
    Participant

If you can find an engine no. I can probably find out what it’s off….

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks, I did have a quick look for an engine number, but will look again at the weekend.

vhgmcbuddy

I checked round the engines and couldn’t find a number, there are 4 holes in the cowling which looks like where a plate could be but seems they havnt been numbered from new. It seems unusual to have a separate oil tank, an early version of autolube, and a mix tap where the oil and petrol mix before the carb, so this may be a clue as to what they are off.

vhgmcbuddy

Alan, I have found an engine number, stamped on the crankcase under the carb. 16HE then underneath 8869 26.

vhgmcbuddy

Alan, I have found an engine number, stamped on the crankcase under the carb. 16HE then underneath 8869 26. Any chance of finding out what it is off please

will-haggle
    Participant

Hi Sten, E is the year, 1942, according to my info… It was made for paraffin, the small tank is for starting petrol, they made a petrol/paraffin version for Landmaster, my list says it should be a type 5. Normally my type number list goes up to 15, so a type 26 doesn’t appear…
    The full list of types for 16H are as follows:-
    16H type 2 – Landmaster, L150
    16H type 5 – Landmaster, L150 (TVO fuel)
    16H type 7 – Various, JAP Standard, (less governor)
    16H type 8 – Jackaroo Go-kart (Villiers Nameplate)
    16H type 9 – Landmaster, L150 (Rope Pulley Start)
    16H type 10 – Various, Go-karts (JAP Standard, less governor)
    16H type 11 – Various, (JAP Standard, horizontal C/shaft)
    16H type 14 – Landmaster, L150 (Rope Start and Landmaster’s Fram air filter)
    16H type 15 – Landmaster, L150 (Recoil Start and Landmaster’s Fram air filter)

All others were 16V, vertical crank for outboards….

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Alan, its definitely 26. Its an amazing coincidence that I bought 3 of these engines then about 2 weeks later I bought an unknown rotavater that turns out to be a Landmaster L150 without an engine. Would the engine have been fitted yellow or does the colour show it should have been fitted to something else. Also when was the L150 1st made.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.