Wartime Farm (again).

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion Wartime Farm (again).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    trusty220
    Keymaster

That is the standard way of multiplying the crop but you need to do it at the tuber stage before it starts to shoot (or chit). You can then leave them to heal the cut faces for a few weeks before planting.

The problem in my case was the tubers had started to sprout, and sprout from just one or two eyes. I had thought about splitting them but when I looked at each one it was not going to be possible and I didn’t have the time to get them to heal before planting, so in they went as they were. Maybe next year, we’ll see!

Update on the growth- as yet nothing showing but it hasn’t been a week yet and so it’s too soon to expect results. Any day now, though!

charlie
    Keymaster

Older gardening books suggest cutting large tubers, however more recent books advise against this.
    Will be a couple of weeks at least before you see any sign of growth.

jtg1
    Participant

in the us they sell eyes, as they can easilly be sent by post. thats taking the splitting down to the limit!

trusty220
    Keymaster

With this warm weather I have been watering at both ends of the day- it coincides with filling the horses’ water buckets and so it is no hardship to spend another five minutes soaking the spuds. The first row is completely up now (they were Jean’s seed potatoes) and the second and third rows are just coming through in places (these were Mrs. Geoff’s pantry finds).

We have swelled the rows with some broad beans which were planted in a double row, staggered to economise on space, and some beetroot seedlings that we found going cheap at the local garden centre. Because they wouldn’t last the night with the rabbits around I used an old offcut of weldmesh that was in the garage, bent and folded over the row to protect them. It was buried into the soil about three inches along each side and so far it has got them stumped, but they have been trying hard!

We found a couple of Gooseberry bushes that looked a little worse for wear down at the garden centre, so we took those to plant as well. The observant ones among you will notice that I’ve also left an old spade at the edge for the Robin to sit on when supervising our efforts. I think he approves.

Something that has got me spitting feathers is the idiot who emptied my water bowser overnight last week. Mrs. Geoff started up the engine to drive the pump to fill the horses’ buckets and came over to tell me that there was none coming out. All the taps were on, I had checked the night before and there was still 12″ of water in the tank, so when I checked the tank and found nothing in it I was not happy. On closer inspection it looks like somebody unscrewed the suction pipe from the pump, drained the water and then screwed it back on. It is now screwed up tight with my biggest pair of water pump pliers and I doubt that I could get it off again without a struggle!

Unfortunately we have a public footpath that runs diagonally across the farm and it passes within 10 yards of the bowser. The amount of people walking the path has to be seen to be believed and every now and then you seem to get a coach party with screaming kids, adults on mobile ‘phones and gran and grandad following at the back. It’s a full time job keeping up with the litter they drop. I suppose that it’s a sign of the times that people can’t leave other people’s property alone.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

Try again…..

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

I ridged up the spuds a couple of days ago whilst waiting for the horses’ water buckets to fill. I think I may have overdone it a little because I don’t think I’ll need to do it again! The ground was rock hard so I went up and down with the Earthquake to loosen it, then pulled it up with a large hoe that was my grandad’s. I covered nearly every plant with a fresh layer of soil but they have nearly all come through after two days and so I’m breathing more easily now.

We have had to fence a large part of the plot off to protect it from the rabbits. The original tunnel that I made from weldmesh is now pretty well redundant as it is surrounded by a three foot tall barrier of chicken wire held up with Mrs. Geoff’s spare electric fence stakes. We had to do this because we were given some leek seedlings which needed to go in sharpish, and somebody else has let us have some pea seedlings as well, so the plot had to be expanded to cope.

We now have runner beans, broad beans, beetroot, leeks and peas besides the potatoes which kicked it all off. The plot now looks like Stalag Luft 3 at Sagan with all the wire around it and I’m half expecting all of the potatoes to have escaped through three tunnels called Tom, Dick and Harry when I come to dig them up.

As for Mrs. Geoff’s cockerel, Guy, which she named after Guy Martin because it looks like he’s got mutton chop sideboards, I’m not letting him near anything that’s got two wheels!

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

I can’t believe that the last pictures were only three weeks ago. Compare them with the situation today and you can definitely see an improvement. The potato tops are mostly up; if I’m being critical they are looking a bit leggy, but all of the seed potatoes in the first row are going well. The middle row is a little patchy- these were the ones we rescued from the back of the pantry and weren’t intended as seed potatoes, just maincrop that had sprouted. The third row is similar but a mixture from our pantry and Jean’s to fill the space up.

One thing that did happen last week was that a couple of plants started to wilt after the strong winds. I dug into the ridge to look to see what was going on and the bottom of the stems had rotted and there was no sign of the original tuber. The second plant was the same, so I dug them both out and threw them on the bonfire with the soil that they had been growing in for safe measure. So far the rest aren’t showing signs of wilt, so fingers crossed!

The other morning I was looking at the plants and noticed that there were some new hoof marks in between the ridges. We have a few Fallow Deer that wander around the farm on a regular basis and it looks like one of them has been inquisitive; I can definitely say that Fallow Deer do not like the taste of potato tops!

Here are the pictures from this month for you to compare with June’s ones. The last one shows Mrs. Geoff’s new arrivals which are about ten days old. At present we think they are all cockerels! Oh well, try again!

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Looking good. I have had a couple of potatoes dug out by a four legged thief wearing a black and white mask, he has also been stealing bird food.

dave
    Participant

New potatoes, Chicken and veg from the garden and rhubarb and custard for afters. I think that
    we all may have to come round for Christmas dinner. What time is it going on the table?

trusty220
    Keymaster

Be careful what you are getting into, Dave. You may have to go to Wales to get your free Christmas dinner!

Rhubarb and fried egg for starters, custard and potato for main course followed by broad beans and beetroot for pudding. Still coming??

will-haggle
    Participant

My brother-in-law planted some spuds in two tubs, as an experiment, he filled one to the top, the other he earthed up a couple of times. I found three old ones in the bottom of my tater bag with 2 – 3″ sprouts so I put them in a tub and earthed up a couple of times, we shall see what appears! Tops are looking good, the taters came from Collins at Bromham, which is a sort of mini garden of England between Devizes and Chippenham, here in Wiltshire.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Jean (the owner of the farm) planted some three years ago in a tub. She never dug the potatoes out, and every year they come up with more green shoots and so we persuaded her to put it outside in the garden and fill it up to the top with soil. It is now enormous and I’m convinced it will be one big tub-shaped potato when we come to empty it out. We’ll see!

franktonpaget
    Participant

I do not know if any of you watch talking pictures channel 81 on Freeview, early morning they show all sorts of Goverment information films as short fillers, many I find interesting and one in recent weeks was a Ministry of Agriculture film on the construction of field storage clamps for potatoes and also carrots.They went through stage by stage on what to do but also why.
    The sort of clamp was straw base, vegetable stored in triangle shape and overlaid with straw and earth top layer not forgetting straw vents to prevent overheating.
    A interesting ten minutes bringing back memories of forming such clamps on the farm for potatoes.
    I wonder is there a goverment archive on such films where you could obtained to show on club nights.
    It also makes you ponder on the skills that workers in agriculture had, like clamping produce, thatching ricks to name but two.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Talking Pictures TV is a “must see” channel in our house. I will have to get up earlier in the morning and look out for some of these government information films!

If anyone is interested, when Wartime Farm was made it was based partly on the book, “The Farming Ladder” which was G. Henderson’s record of buying a derelict farm in Oxfordshire and turning it into one of the most profitable enterprises in the area during the Second World War. An absolute must if you’re interested in farming in any way.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Funnily enough opened up my sunday newspaper and there is a article on the Talking Pictures channel run by a chap and his daughter from a shed in there garden.
    He obtained rights to a lot of Black and white films and television series for which makers thought there was no interest or demand.Watching audience for the channel is several million.
    The Public Information films from the 1940/1950’s are held by the Imperial War Museum and shown with there permission. I wonder if Vintage clubs could have access to them for showing at Club nights.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.