Trusty two wheel tractors

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Trusty two wheel tractors

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john
    Participant

Among other inherited horticultural machinery, I have several old and rusty Trusty two-wheel tractors. Where do I start to find out about restoration possibilities?

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Forum member trusty220 is the man, I am sure he will post a reply soon.

trusty220
    Keymaster

You’re right, Charlie!

That looks to be a very interesting Trusty. In standard form as manufactured it would have been a 3-speed + reverse transmission driving through later type reduction gears (the sliding axles signify this). The engine looks to be a JAP 5 and the reversible plough is a nice addition, unusual but not a rarity. It will have been made after 1950 but if you let me know the serial number from the back of the transmission case I can narrow it down a little more and enter it onto the Trusty Register. You can access this, together with many more Trusty products, under the “Survivors” Tab at the top of the page.

Later, local additions appear to be the two toggle handles and operating rods that disappear into the rear of the transmission casing- I wonder what they do? Perhaps you’ll enlighten me! Also the wheels aren’t the standard 2-wheel tractor wheels but they bear a similarity to the ones fitted to the front axle of the Mk1 Trusty Steed, so I can’t say for certain that they are factory fitted or not; at least they’re unusual!

I’ve included a factory photo of a similar machine taken when new for comparison.

Attachments:
    trusty-bloke
    Participant

Hi John
    If you need an engine manual then drop me a PM .. with your e-mail address on it.
    I’ll reply from my company address
    Similarly if you want a Trusty “how to” about the clutch, dog clutches and countershaft then I can also send you a pdf of all those details too ..
    The Accessory Magazine ran articles in the 1950s on Farm machinery and just happened to do a good one on the Trusty.
    Oh, whereabouts are you .. ?
    If local I could have a look if you get stuck.
    Cheers
    Richard (Southampton)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by trusty-bloke.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.