The Trials of Life

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects The Trials of Life

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    andyfrost
    Participant

Being under pressure from Kev Castle to get my Coleby ready for Tractorfest , I though what with being off work on holiday , I would try and make some more progress. One usual problem with Jap 4/3s is the govenor system siezed , but on a Coleby , one of the nuts holding the govenor box is all but impossible to undo without taking the engine off.
    As it didn’t appear to difficult to do , I decided to go for it , nuts came undone easily , a quick riggle , and it popped of with unbelievable ease , so much so , it caught me unawares , and dropped it onto my foot.
    A Jap4/3 isn’t the lightest of engines , two points , I must be more alert , and secondly , don’t wear your slippers in the shed.
    I’m now nursing an EXTREMELY painful foot.

Andy.

hillsider
    Participant

Ouch!!!
    I think many of us can hold our hands up to the sin of wearing our slippers in the shed so let’s all learn by your misfortune.
    It won’t make your foot feel any better but I have worn safety boots throughout my working life and the one time that something heavy fell on a foot it landed behind the area protected by the steel toe cap, nothing broke but it still hurt!
    Ray.

vhgmcbuddy

oh andy dont say that, you make me feel guilty…… hope it gets better soon. i broke my little toe while wearing safety boots, the 1 toe that is not protected when wearing said “safety” boots

vhgmcbuddy

andy I am another slipper wearer and I to have had things happen in the shed. the most appealing thing with them is the comfort factor which helps when under stressfull times or painfull times as you have found out.

wristpin
    Participant

Although officially retired I still wear safety boots when “at work” and safety glasses as well. Problem with the glasses is keeping them clean enough to see through!

chap
    Participant

Maybe there is a market for toetector slippers ? I to have the glasses thing saftey goggles and welding sheild,you do have to keep them clean.

oddhatuk
    Participant

Toetector slippers would be very useful, it is not unknown for me to garden in my slippers!

vhgmcbuddy

Three cheers for the good old comfy slippers…..even although we know they are not work attire

vhgmcbuddy

How about safety classes with tear off strips like the F1 helmet. Could try cling film one strip at a time and tear off when dirty. sounds alright in theory.

charlie
    Keymaster

The big problem I find with safety goggles, as I also wear glasses, is the reduced clarity of vision having to look through two layers of glass/plastic. But having ruined one pair of glasses by not wearing goggles when grinding I always make sure I wear goggles.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.