Sand Skimming Tractor Hunt

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Sand Skimming Tractor Hunt

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

At Malvern, Stuart Cox kindly brought me an old magazine article about a chap in Godalming that had a complete sand skimming tractor and a dumper , both of which he planned to restore with a view to displaying them together. The man’s name was David Smith and he was described as a farm and horticultural equipment collector. Does anyone know of this man or if the machine still exists.

charlie
    Keymaster

The only David Smith I know of did not live in Godalming. What was the date and title of the magazine?

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I gather it was issue two of a magazine called ” Farm and Horticultural Equipment Collector” not seen it and no idea of date.

hortiman
    Participant

It may be worth contacting Patrick Knight, he was the editor at the time, he may remember who submitted the article.

Chris

trustymasseyman
    Participant

Yes their is a Dave Smith from Cambridgeshire and he match ploughs with a trusty pedestrian tractor

charlie
    Keymaster

That issue dates back to 1992. A year before the VHGMC was formed.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

It would be nice to know if the machines still exist.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Any chance of a picture or two? I’m sure we are all curious to see what this sand skimmer looked like.

charlie
    Keymaster

Copy of original article, looking back at issue 1 I have found the address for David Smith, pm sent to expeatfarmer with details.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I can see why Jonathon thought it was going to be a big job to restore his skimmer now! F&HEC used to have some really good articles and it’s still a shame that it was killed off.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

That is the same article charlie many thanks. Found a new number and will give him a call.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

That was lucky number had changed but guessed what it might be and struck lucky first call. Spoke to his son says he still has a dumper but thinks skimmer was scrapped will talk to David himself in the morning.

charlie
    Keymaster

Good to know he has not moved, not so good if skimmer was scraped.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.