Ransomes MG2 Serial number 137

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransomes MG2 Serial number 137

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

Restoration began in earnest today on what is believed to be the oldest Motor Cultivator surviving, dating from 1936 the tractor looks rough but is in remarkable condition, every nut and bolt has come undone without brutal measures. I gave it a good soak with penetrating oil about a week ago and so far it has paid off. The track drive roller wheels are shot so I will cut them off with a plasma cutter and weld in replacement rings from Neil.

Attachments:
    dave
    Participant

Good luck mate you have got a big job on there.
    Thanks for the number. Dave.

crawler
    Participant

That’s quite a restoration job you have there. I look forward to following your progress. What state is the engine in?
    Rob

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Hi Rob
    The engine is stripped down but I have all the parts and all seem to be in good order.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Both drive roller wheels on 137 were badly worn, the drive rollers are actually bolted on with a nut either side, incredibly all bar one came undone with sockets. I have bought some repair rims from Neil and using a plasma cutter I cut down the wheels to suit the repair rims and pleasingly the rims are ready to weld on with minimal grinding to clean off the slag.
    One concern I have is that as I plan to restore to as new for the 2016 80th anniversary, the engine cowl cover ( threepenny bit shape ) is badly battered and suffering from vibration tears I think it will be hard to repair, but in view of the rolled ribs in the original stamping it will be even harder to replicate. Fortunately I have a better one on my other T /2, but I have promised myself not to rob bits off it unless I am absolutely desperate.

Attachments:
    trusty220
    Keymaster

The cover doesn’t look too bad from your photo’s. Once it’s straightened up you should be able to braze the cracks and hide a strengthening strip behind.
    Either way you have nothing to lose by trying.
    Best of luck with it.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Thanks. I will give it a try.

charlie
    Keymaster

EFL Panels might be able to make a new cowl for you. They made a new fuel tank and engine side covers for my Simar 11.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I had another thought today about how to tackle you difficult cowling repair. Once it is straightened out to your liking you could cut some strengthening strips and bend them to the interior angles of the cowling so that they run along the cracks. You could then spot weld them to the cowling (less heat, no distortion), hiding them inside.
    You could then finish off by either brazing together or just filling with body filler.
    Best of luck.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Many thanks Trusty I will give it a try.
    Finally managed to get round to welding up the drive wheel rims yesterday, the 1/2 1937 model came in handy as a swivel mount for the welding. I tacked them up first and then welded a quarter at a time front and back and then ground them down flush I will have to apply a light skim of filler just to fill the rust pitting and the odd low point in the weld edges.Rhys has made me two new sets of rollers and spindles.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Top job Jonathan!

expeatfarmer
    Participant

I have now started work on the engine and find that I am missing the alloy cover that goes over the valve springs and tappets. I have contacted the previous owner with no luck, if anyone has one or a complete/part T series Sturmey Archer engine I would be very grateful. There may be a dead mower out there that has the same part or engine. 016974 78292. Thanks

expeatfarmer
    Participant

For some time I have been struggling to find material to build up the track load rollers to the original dimensions, I have now made contact with a company in Smethwick ” Ravenace ” who have supplied me with 10 off 1/2″ x 8″ diameter cast iron round bar which I can now machine the centre out of the make sweat on tyres for the rollers. On the basis that this may help someone else I thought it worth sharing. Ravenace are happy to supply offcuts and small quantities of all types of materials.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Finally managed to get back to 137 today, pressure washed off the body, degreased it and cleaned all the crud out of the gearbox. I had to use a chisel and a descaling gun to remove the Worcester marl from the underside but just look at the condition of the eighty year old bolts under the clay!

Attachments:
    expeatfarmer
    Participant

I also found that the tractor had originally been painted lawnmower green under the blue, I wonder if they originally planned them to be green and then changed their minds, primer underneath the green is grey.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.