Ransomes 16’’ MK11

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Ransomes 16’’ MK11

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi everyone,
    My name is Louis, I live in Belgium (Namur). I am trying to revive a Ransomes 16’’ MK11 with a Ransomes 4 stroke engine, but some pieces are missing – piston segments, exhaust pipe, and a small screw on the side of the carburettor, and I don’t find any spares parts in Belgium. Would any of you have an idea of where I could find these parts? Many thanks to all and regards -Louis

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Louis
    I am currently breaking a 36″ mower fitted with the Sturmey Archer engine there may be some common parts can you post photographs of your machine.

vhgmcbuddy

Hello expeatfarmer, thank you for your prompt reply. I forgot to take pictures of the machine before removing the engine, but I could find pictures of a complete one on the internet (you see the exhaust pipe I am searching for). With regards the carburettor you see on my picture the small screw missing. Many thanks for your help.

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

If you are unable to find piston rings it is possible to have them made. A UK company that can make them is Cox and Turner Engineering
    The missing screw on the carburettor looks like it is the tickler for flooding the carb. It may be worth contacting a carb company such as Burlen Fuels

expeatfarmer
    Participant

The engine is I believe a Sturmey Archer, the “screw” missing from the carb is as Charlie says a tickler plunger to flood the carb, the silencer I have is very similar I will take a picture.

vhgmcbuddy

Yes, you both are right, it’s the tickler plunger. Thank you for both adresses, I’ll surf on their sites.
    Behind the mag chain (« Ransomes »), one can read « LSA 125 », I suppose for Sturmey Archer.

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi There look at the side of the mower,the opposite side to the chain case.You’ll find a cast disc,tell me what it says and I will date it for you.
    Kind regards
    Andrew
    Archivist
    The Hall & Duck Trust

vhgmcbuddy

Hello Andrew, do you mean the kind of clutch? I can’t see anything written on it…

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all, I am very happy: I could find three segments, a spark plug and some material to weld an exhaust pipe. I will run in the valves next weekend, and look for the belt of the ventilator. My brother, whose venerable BSA motorbike sometimes needs to be repaired, told me I might find a tickler on Faked.com; let’s wait and see… The mower is nearly operational, after having slept half a century in an old orangery…
    See you

vhgmcbuddy

Finally… but I still need to find an exhaust pipe

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Great result.

vhgmcbuddy

thank you. But would someone tell me how to stop the engine? Up to now I close the fuel tap and wait for the carb to be empty, but there must be a more convenient way, am I wrong?

charlie
    Keymaster

There should be a metal tab on the side of the magneto at the points end near the clips that hold the points cover on. Press to stop.

vhgmcbuddy

The only thing I find on the magneto is a kind of motionless button, screwed on another screw. There is a spring between both, but I don’t understand its role since nothing moves…

Attachments:
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.