Ransome Triple Mk4 pertol Mag engine help won't idle

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Ransome Triple Mk4 pertol Mag engine help won't idle

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I had a similar problem with the Norton engine on my Trusty. I eventually tracked it down to the throttle butterfly shaft hole being slightly oval from years of vibration. This allowed air to be sucked in even when the throttle was fully closed. I could wind the main jet mixture screw all the way out and it would just about run, but soon as I opened the throttle, it would just die because of the excess amount of air being drawn in. If you haven’t already checked with the WD40, give it a squirt around the throttle butterfly.

wristpin
    Participant

Going back through the earlier posts in this thread I see that in your post of May 31st you say that Meetens rebuilt the carb. The term Rebuilding is a bit non specific, did they itemise what was done?

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Busman, there is a little play on the throttle butterfly shaft on all the carbs I’ve tried but nothing that I would deem to be excessive. I’ll try the WD40 trick tonight and report back.

Wristpin, Paul at Meetens said he stripped it apart, sonic cleaned it an then rebuilt it with new parts where needed. I have since found an old damaged seal on the cover plate to the idle jets from inside the float chamber. I suspect it could be drawing fuel up into to idle jets from the float chamber so I’ve managed to order a new o’ring seal 9.6mm od x 6.7mm id to rule this out, took some finding as it’s a really unusual size!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.