Palindromes

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    ssorthiek
    Participant

Having looked at this in a bit more detail, it would appear that there are quite a few DOB that can be palindromes which are far more recent than 1930’s. Yep, my stupid errors and omissions crept in again. I’ll get my thinking cap on again but I suspect that this will take quite a bit of guesswork as well as working out.

ransomes256
    Participant

Charlie,
    Rotavator is not the longest pallindrome in the Oxford English dictionary with only 9 letters of which there are several others. There are a couple with 11 letters and this with 12 letters.

tattarrattat

All good fun and has delivered some interesting info on the original word rotavator.

Neil

trusty220
    Keymaster

Looking at the DoB for Mr. Wallingfield ( because it’s raining outside and I’ve just sent Mrs. Geoff out to the farm to feed the animals- they are all hers, after all!), it appears that there may be three possibilities; could I ask you what star sign you were born under Mr. Wallingfield?

hdtrust
    Participant

HMMM Star sign, thought you might have guessed that! Try Virgo, probalby answers a lot of questions.
    As the Americans would say – we have 100% precipitation here today
    Kind regards
    Mr Wallingfield

trusty220
    Keymaster

That blows my theory right out of the water then! B****r!

ssorthiek
    Participant

I really can’t believe such an innocent post originally would provide so much interest and some much fun. It was only intended to be a passing comment but it seems to have really sparked the imagination of quite a few people.

trusty220
    Keymaster

OK, Wallingfield, here goes!

The date of birth on my driving license takes the form YMMDDY, so if yours runs the same format as mine then I guess your date of birth (to conform to the Virgo star sign) will be 608806 or 609906, which makes you born on either the 80th August, 1966 or 90th September, 1966.

Oh dear, I feel my headache coming on again…….

ssorthiek
    Participant

Trusty

That’s the theory I had but had considered Jan, Feb, or March as possible months which would have made sense. This quiz is a bit much for me I’m afraid, I can’t see any combination of numbers that will fit given this star sign.

charlie
    Keymaster

As membership secretary and having the required information on the membership list I feel I will have to exclude myself from giving the answer having something of an advantage.

trusty220
    Keymaster

It appears that YMMDDY isn’t the only layout that DVLA have used. They have also used M/D/YY which gives us some more possibilities. Assuming an August or September birth date- Virgo star sign- the sequence will start with either an 8 or a 9.

Knowing Wallingfield is older than me by just a little I reckon he’s a child of the 50’s, so his date of birth will be either 8/5/58 (5th August, 1958) or 9/5/59 (9th September, 1959). His place of birth (we all know he grew up in Sheffield) is probably Hallam.

Well, am I right, sir???

Thanks are due to Alan, a true Yorkshireman, for his local knowledge of the Sheffield area!

hdtrust
    Participant

Well go to the foot of our stairs! you are so close but yet! Correct year and even correct month but what about the day.
    One for Allen here, if you know so much about Sheffield why is it a copy of Rome?
    Kind regards
    Mr Wallingfield

trusty220
    Keymaster

D’Oh! I blame either Muppetry or Laphraoig! I’ve just noticed my typo so please accept my apologies, Mr. Wallingfield.

What I meant to put was 5th September, 1959 but I think my brain got a bit confused with all these numbers. I think it must be my age!

Live long and prosper, Andrew!

alan
    Participant

Andrew,

I reckon your Sheffield/Rome question has either got something to do with:

1, Seven Hills
    2, Russell Crowe, him off that there Gladiators film lives there and works part time in the Co-Op.
    3, There’s a replica of the Colosseum round t’back of Weatherspoons

Geoff thinks it’s that Russell Crowe bloke, but I’m doubtful.

hdtrust
    Participant

Well another one of those long days completed of which the highlight was talking to our President Charlie.
    That is until I read Alans answers,absolutley brilliant cannot stop laughing, and that is just one reason why I love this club!

As for the keymaster,finally you’ve got it! well done.

Alan taking your first answer to be correct and that you broke my anagram what are the 5 areas named after the rivers in Sheffield, I had it drummed into me when I was in Scouting.
    Although Sheffield has a lot of effluent in its rivers it has not got a kuaka Maximus as Rome!

Regards
    Mr Wallingfield

alan
    Participant

Sadly, geography isn’t my strong point, which is rather unfortunate considering that for work I need to know where north is…

I recall there’s the river Don in Sheffield which is the same as at Aberdeen where I lived for some time. And the Sheffield name itself has something to do with a river.

I’ll have to do a bit of research.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.