Operating a Trusty

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bish
    Participant

I’m collecting a Trusty next week which is running I’ve been to view the machine and seen the engine run. I should have asked whilst I was there but I forgot and I was hoping someone on here could tell me what the two handles clipped to the handles do? I’m guessing one engages drive from engine to wheels , but what does the other one do? Thanks again Rich

vhgmcbuddy

Each one puts each wheel into drive. When these levers are under their respective hooks the driving wheels are in neutral. Only unhook each leaver, particularly the first one, when the engine is at tick over. There is a centrifugal clutch which engages as the engine speed increases. Be careful, the engagement of the dog cogs that these levers control can be quite rough.

charlie
    Keymaster

It is good practice to slow engine to minimum and watch the shaft on side of gearbox stop. IF it is turning at any speed engaging the clutches will cause damage to them and engaging only one could cause machine to turn, eg engage right hand clutch and it will drive right hand wheel so turn left. Engaging clutch with shaft turning causes damage to the dog clutch. These can be inspected by opening the top of the gearbox by lifting the toolbox. trusty220 is our Trusty expert.

trusty220
    Keymaster

OK, here goes! The definitive guide to driving a Trusty if you’ve never done it before!
    1. Make sure that both levers on the handlebars are clipped back securely under their hooks;
    2. Start engine and warm up so that it ticks over smoothly;
    3. Stand at the back and rotate right-hand twist grip throttle until the engine is ticking over at it’s slowest speed;
    4. Look down the left hand side of the transmission casing- look for the end of the countershaft which is about 3″ diameter and has four holes drilled and tapped in it- this needs to have stopped spinning before you do anything else;
    5. Once it has stopped spinning you can engage drive to one or both wheels by moving the large handlebar levers from under the clips to a position towards the middle of the machine. The left hand lever controls drive to the left hand wheel, the right hand to the right wheel so that you can turn it under power. If you engage both together it will drive in a straight line;
    6. Increase revs on the engine slowly by turning the twist grip on the right hand handlebar and you will find that the drive engages gradually and the machine moves off;
    7. To stop just close down the twist grip throttle to allow the engine to tick over again;
    8. On no account must you move the levers unless the end of the countershaft has stopped spinning.
    9. To turn the tractor after driving in a straight line you must come to a stop, disengage the wheel on the inside of the turn you wish to make, then increase the revs so that the drive is taken to the one remaining wheel only. Once the tractor is pointing in the direction that you want it to, come to a stop again, re-engage the wheel and increase the revs to drive in a straight line again.
    It sounds awfully complicated but it is simplicity itself once you’ve had a go. Let me know the serial number and I’ll put you on the Trusty Register with it.
    Above all have lots of fun with it!

trusty-mad
    Participant

i have a copy of the trusty instruction manual i can send you if you give me your email adress.

bish
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies sounds simple enough just looking forward to having a go myself now.

trusty220
    Keymaster

If you are thinking about going to the Vintage Gathering at Astwood Bank at the weekend I will be taking my 3-speed Trusty with the fingerbar mower and riding carriage. It’s a bit of a handful but I will be only too pleased to show you how to drive it. It’s a lot simpler than it sounds! Honest!!!

bish
    Participant

That sounds great mate I’m there on the Sunday I’d love a demonstration!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.