new trusty rotavator some questions

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines new trusty rotavator some questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just get home with a trusty rotavator SN TC1121DRB6 (so around 1966)that’s been re powered with a 6.5HP B&S vanguard ..have not unloaded it as yet so may have more question another day..
    What i want to know is how many teeth will be on the original drive sprocket on the original engine? and what was the max RPM of the original engine?..i ask this as the engine has been fitted badly and will need a new sprocket..i am guessing the new B&S at 3600rpm will be a bit more rev happy than the original engine so may need les teeth to compensate..also my sprocket is probably not the original…thanks dave

charlie
    Keymaster

The Trusty Earthquake had two engine options, the Villiers MK25 (3hp at 2500rpm) or the 4/44 (7hp at 3000 rpm). Will need to drag my Mk25 powered machine out of the shed to count teeth on sprocket.
    trusty220 may know the answer.

vhgmcbuddy

That will be good ….good to know they had 7hp fitted..it means i will not have to nurse it with 6.5hp…it looks a 1/2 tidy machine..it was sold as having a gearbox problem but when i ring the man it sounded like a slipping clutch and this morning noted that it has no free play in the clutch so may only need adjusting only problems i see at this stage is a slightly misaligned engine and drive chain too long and a bodged sprocket(the sprocket is bolted/welded to a V pulley ) also excessive play in the gear stick ..i was unable to find a neutral to load it

vhgmcbuddy

Good new ..clutch is fine after adjustment..it will stall the motor out with no sign of slipping …all gears work.. the engine started 1st pull from being standing for a year (i had turned it over by hand several time sorting clutch out) BAD news 1 tyre has had it..
    Sprocket size ..it has 13 teeth the little demo i do i don’t think it wants to be any faster..but it will be interesting to know what the original was

charlie
    Keymaster

It can be a fiddle finding neutral between each gear, in my opinion the gear lever should be longer making it easier to reach.

dave
    Participant

Just been down to the shed and counted the teeth on my trusty earthquake
    B&S engine and the no of teeth on mine is 14. Hope that this helps. Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

14..that a coincidence the smallest taper lock sprocket i can get for a 20mm shaft is 14 teeth
    can get much smaller if a get a sprocket thats just keyed on to the shaft but the bodgey mess it has on now has probaly worn the key way/shaft as it loose thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.