Name that 2 wheeled tractor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Name that 2 wheeled tractor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    crawlersimon
    Participant

Not that I’m buying anything else (I haven’t got room), but I was interested to know what this unnamed 2 wheeled tractor is (currently for sale on eBay).

ted20
    Participant

it would help if you post a picture or reference number

charlie
    Keymaster
    charlie
    Keymaster

Photo copied from reply in other forum topic.
    To me it looks like an ATCO tractor. See photo in website galleries for comparison https://vhgmc.co.uk/photo-galleries/atco/atco-tractor-imgatco037/

Attachments:
    ted20
    Participant

looks more like Auto-Culto with them handle bars and possible twin exhaust

andyfrost
    Participant

AutoCulto Field model L

Andy.

crawlersimon
    Participant

Thanks. I hadn’t seen one before – and the seller doesn’t name it. I like the look at it. How does it stand up to the more common(?) Trusty or Anzani pedestrian tractors? Was it a reasonable sales success?

andyfrost
    Participant

Personally I like them , my father bought one new in 1945 , and used it on his smallholding until the mid 1960s , a very versatile machine that was offered with a host of attachments. The plough in all honesty was not a great success , having limited adjustment , which is why they are not overly popular with the ploughmen at matches.When it comes to build quality they’re on another level compared with the opposition , very well hardened gearbox components that will comfortably outlast others…….and a beautiful sounding Villiers twostroke that delivers bags of power.
    Buy it and enjoy !!!!

Andy.

philip-s
    Participant

There is what is probably a model L advertised in this month’s Cultivator magazine in the New Forest. Shame it is lockdown and a long way or I would have had it.
    I am interested in Andy’s comments about the plough as I have just obtained a plough for my model EX but without the bits to connect it up to the machine so any ideas on hitching it up with a suitable adjuster mechanism would be welcome. Has anyone tried incorporating a screw adjuster to the older Auto Cultos.

andyfrost
    Participant

I probably should have said the plough is more than adequate for what it was designed for , that is afterall what growers bought them for, but not suitable for the millimeter perfect match ploughing.
    All the ploughs on this model range mount the same , and it’s probably better if you can see the set-up in the flesh to get an idea of what you have missing.
    Of course any plough within reason can be adapted to fit , it all depends as to whether you wish to keep it all original.

Andy.

autophil
    Participant

Hi here is a photo of our local ploughing match. They are all Auto culto in the line up. My friend who is in the photo said they where a good machine. They do pre date the modern Trusty/Iron horse /Bmb.

Attachments:
    philip-s
    Participant

Thanks for clarifying about the plough Andyfrost.

That’s a very nice photo Autophil, where and when was it taken? I see all the autocultos have the torpedo type tank so presumably date to around the 1940’s and the ‘ X’ series.
    My machine had been stuck in the back of the shed for some time waiting until I could get implements to go with it, so now I hope to get on with getting it going.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.