Identifying Briggs & Stratton Engine?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Identifying Briggs & Stratton Engine?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all!
    Hi can anyone identify this Briggs& Stratton engine please? It’s not got the original blower housing so there’s no model number to go by.
    It’s on what’s probably an old Landmaster rotavator and still runs although obviously it needs work.

I’d like to replace the missing bolts near the crankshaft and would like to know what torque to tighten them to, as well as identify the carb and replace the missing bits there.

I’m told it’s 3HP and despite the red paint it was originally black. The block is aluminium and the moulding on the right side doesn’t seem to match any I’ve seen looking in the old manuals B&S kindly keep online.

Here’s some photos:

Attachments:
    stuart
    Participant

If its a 3hp engine then the five digit model number will start with an 8.At a guess the full model number may be 80303.The engine,s type number is not really required as the carburettor is a common “pulsa-jet” type and any parts you need are easily obtainable from either your local B&S / garden machinery dealer or on-line.

wristpin
    Participant

While you may not need the type number for your immediate problem it might be useful for other issues such as identifying the ” structure” behind the pulley which is not a standard 8000 series fitment – an additional crank support bearing? Also, the end of the crank would appear to be splined. I wonder whether that engine originally had a factory fit reduction box?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.