Howard Gem Ruggerini engine

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Gem Ruggerini engine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi I am having trouble with my Gem. I got it from a guy who fitted a new Ruggerini RY120 engine to it. But a bad job was done and not long after I got it the clutch shattered. I since ordered a lot of new parts including clutch. Amongst the parts I got a new fly wheel nut and bearing. The nut which was sent to me is a 22mm but the Ruggerini crankshaft has a 16mm thread. I have been informed that the 22mm nut was the only one made to fit the Howard Gem.
    I am now left wondering if this Ruggerini engine is a correct fit at all for the Gem.

stuart
    Participant

The Dowdeswell 650 rotavator (what the Howard Gem became after Dowdeswell engineering brought them out in approx 1985) was fitted with a Ruggerini RF120 diesel.I don’t know what the differences are between the correct RF120 engine and your replacement RY120 engine are though as I only have a parts list for the RF models.My parts lists for the Ruggerini engine gives a Dowdeswell part number of 27473 for a “Drive adaptor nut”.The Ruggerini part number for the flywheel nut is 325-84 and for the PTO end is 323-35.Dont know if any of the above is any help to you or not but hope you get it sorted as they are excellent machines.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stuart,

I will certainly check these parts with my Howard parts supplier and see if they correspond with he sent out to me. I will also look into where I can order Ruggerini parts in Ireland or the UK.

Thanks for the advice
    John

vhgmcbuddy

Please forgive my little knowledge of mechanics, as my friend is trying to fix this machine for me, he is explaing his problem to me over the phone as I live a good distance from him. I am trying to get the correct parts for him.

I have checked Ruggerini manuals and my engine shares the same parts as the RF120.

Should the Howard drive adapter nut 27437 should screw on to the Pto or flywheel end of the engine.

I have ordered this exact part,(27437)it is a 22mm nut. This nut my friend tells me wont work as the crank shaft on the engine is 16mm. Should this nut be the same as one of the Ruggerini nuts or do they serve different functions.

The Ruggerini nut 32584 is a M22 x1.5 H.13 and 32335 is M16 x1.6 H.8

Many thanks John

stuart
    Participant

Looking at my parts list John the 27437 nut is shown at the clutch / drive adapter end.

vhgmcbuddy

So do think this nut treads onto the clutch shaft or the engine. I have no idea what engine was on there before. Checking the Howard manuals I can see the Hatz and Koller engines have different methods of fixing the drive adapter to the engine.

I think I will need to travel up to see my friend and the machine so as to a visual investigation, so I can get a better idea of the problem.

This is an absolute gem of a machine which can turn grass land to tilthy soil in a single pass, I am determined to get it back working again tho Spring.

Thanks for all the help, I will let know how things develop.

stuart
    Participant

That I don’t know im afraid John.It would be a case of having the machine in front of you and working it out oneself.Let us know how you get on.

hitchinsm
    Participant

Are you by any chance in Ireland?

vhgmcbuddy

Yes Co Cork Ireland.

vhgmcbuddy

Keith Beasley
    Standen Engineering Limited has kindly provided the answer to why my engine wont fit, it goes as follows:

The Ruggerini RF 120 engine as fitted to the Howard Gem and/or Dowdeswell 650 was to a special specification as follows.

Early Version.
    Ruggerini Diesel Engine Type RF 120. (12hp) to specification as follows:
    Crankshaft 012/10, Flange 240/15 4 mtg studs 28mm long. Decompressor 3011. Special Howard reverse cam shaft.
    Auto bleed pipe between injector & pump. 24cms spill pipe. 30 cms fuel feed pipe.1 banjo bolt blk 17/15. 1 banjo bolt 7/16/72. 2 washers (754) -01.
    2 washers 754-02 . Pulley guard 7/171-34. 2 cable connectors 559-12. Less Rope Pulley. with Flywheel Grill. Less crank shaft nut . Less Fuel Tank.

Later Version
    As above but fitted with fuel tank.

The Howard specified Crankshaft 012/10 is listed on the attached copy of a spec sheet as being fitted to the RF130-140-148-149 range and has a 22mm thread.

The standard Crankshaft fitted to the RF100-120-121-129 range has a 16mm thread.

I regret to say that because of the Howard changes to the RF 120 specification to meet their requirement for the Howard Gem the only available drive adaptor nut is 27473 22mm.

Keith Beasley
    Standen Engineering Limite

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.