Howard Gem carb

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi All

Looking for some advice regarding my newly acquired Howard Gem. Having cleaned sludge trap (under Tank) and stripped the carb and cleaned with brake cleaner it runs ok. If i wanted to service the carb where could i get spares. i think from the bit of research i have carried out it has an Amal 225/3 carb swerving a British Junior engine. Or could i buy a new or reconned carb for it? If so what type? i want it to run like a dream despite its age.
    I also struggle to get it into reverse and stay there. Is there an adjustment that i can make?
    Any help would be appreciated.

charlie
    Keymaster

harpy, welcome to the forum. For carb spares you could try Burlen at Salisbury. If you have an early Gem be very careful engaging reverse as it was possible to engage reverse whilst still in a forward gear which does not do the gears any good and will strip teeth.

vhgmcbuddy

Charlie

Many thanks for the advice. i have attached a couple of photos and would be grateful of any other info to date my Howard and any pointers in keeping it running. I have only used it on a small patch of the allotment as 95% of the plots are planted, but i am looking forward to give it a proper workout later in the year.

i will investigate Burlen.

Thanks again for your help

vhgmcbuddy

Photos attached

charlie
    Keymaster

harpy you need to reduce your photo file size, this can be done using windows picture manager or software such as shrink pic. max file size is 3072 KB.
    To date your howard look for the serial number see this link for where to find number.

vhgmcbuddy

Photo attached

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Attached

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie
    My wife is up the allotment today and will get me the number. The previous owner had scratched the paint off the serial No so it should be easy to date now you have given me the link.
    thanks again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.