Howard Bantam

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi,
    I have a Howard Bantam rotavator, re-engined with a Honda. All was well until yesterday, it now won’t stay in slow gear and fast gear won’t engage at all. I am struggling with getting it apart to find the problem. I have removed the rotor assembly, “opened” up the LHS frame and removed the axle, and that is where I am stuck. The wheel assembly moves about 40mm away from the gbox but won’t come any further.

Can anyone help me with removing the wheel assembly and further stripping, and also with the likely cause/repair required.

Thank you

charlie
    Keymaster

Was there correct amount of oil in gearbox?

vhgmcbuddy

Yes, all fluids were topped up before it was used.

charlie
    Keymaster

Copy of gearbox page from parts list in photo below and attached as pdf so you can download it.

vhgmcbuddy

Excellent, thank you. I have now found the source of the problem, the drive gear for low speed has about 20% of the length of the teeth worn away, I’m guessing from being forced into gear with the clutch engaged or from the belt dragging. I plan to repair it by rebuilding with Armoid welding rods then grinding/filing back to get the tooth profile.

The problem I now have is how to get the drive gears off the little shaft that comes from the worm drive. I have removed the castellated nut but I can’t work out how the gear is on the shaft, it looks to thin to be splined and it ain’t shifting with a puller either.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.