Howard 700 gearbox

Home Forums The Main Forum Area Projects Howard 700 gearbox

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi, I bought a 700 from that well known auction site last year and had now got around to sorting it. I’ve removed the gearbox side plate to reveal the first gear cogs are shot, with most of the teeth missing from both. I’m sure this is because the clutch is dragging, and it has been rammed into gear too many times. 2nd is fine, by the way.
    So, has any member got a spare gearbox lying around, or do you have any suggestions on getting replacement gears?

hortiman
    Participant

Hello tump.

If you fancy a trip to west Wales, I have a spare g/box lying around as you say.
    Chris

vhgmcbuddy

That sounds great. Might be a week or so before I can get over, but I will certainly take you up on that offer.
    Can you email me on raycollins2@btinternet.com with your address please and I can sort out the details.

Many thanks,

Ray

vhgmcbuddy

Just like to say a big thanks to Chris. After collecting the spare 700 gearbox and axle, I completed rebuilding my machine today and have just rotovated a patch to test it. Wow, what a machine that 700 is with the Villiers 28 engine! Really pleased, so thanks again Chris for the parts – another Howard back on the road – well garden anyway.

Ray

andyfrost
    Participant

Glad to hear you have her up and running. The 700 was without doubt the best machine Howard ever made.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Tump I am pleased to see that you have got your 700 working if you would like to see my 700 working on my allotment there is a link below. Do you have the 16″ wheels with your one.
    There are about six videos showing various jobs being done by Howard machines.
    By the way I worked at Howards
    Wishing you all the best
    Myosotis

vhgmcbuddy

I need some replacement tynes for my 700. Can anyone confirm that these are the same as for the Gem?

I would also like the pipe that links the carb to the air cleaner. Any idea who could supply this part?

Thanks,
    Ray

vhgmcbuddy

Hi tump
    Thanks for letting me know that you had a look at the video of my 700 working.

The blades on the 700 are the same as the Gem. You mention the air cleaner is yours original and is it in good order as I had to change my one and made one from a cut down lorry air cleaner.
    I did put an article onsite at the time with the details. I will need to lookup the info again.
    Thanks Myosotis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.