Honda F501 Tiller

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    arbe
    Participant

I purchased this machine back in 2002 and have not used it a lot, have never changed the blades but I noticed that the two inside blades do not cut the ground where the central alloy gear housing goes which means we are trying to push this part through solid ground. The only way to do it is to swing the machine from side to side to enable the blades to cut. But this has caused the alloy casing to spring a leak. Has anybody else got this problem and would new blades cure the problem.

wristpin
    Participant

No image reaching here! However I’m guessing that either you have the wrong blades or the right ones assembled incorrectly . When there is a central gearbox the inner tines are usually curved in towards the centre to avoid leaving too wide an uncultivated strip.

andyfrost
    Participant

All centre drive rotavators have to miss a small strip in the middle , I use Hondas quite alot , and I simply overlap each pass , that way your’re covering all the land.

Andy.

arbe
    Participant

I did not put any images, but they blades have been on there since I purchased it. The seem to be in the correct order, but the distance on the center ones is great and they do not cut the ground part where the gearbox ( I think thats what it is called)is which on virgin ground means I am having to try to bypass this ground and of course it cannot. If the blades were almost touching at this point it would go through the ground with ease.

arbe
    Participant

Please see my reply to wristpin.
    PS how out of interest do you measure the blades ?

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by arbe.
    andyfrost
    Participant

Some clear and precise photos would really help.

Andy

arbe
    Participant

Ok do that tomorrow

charlie
    Keymaster

Another problem may be trying to go too deep in one pass, eg full depth at first attempt.

arbe
    Participant

Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by arbe.
    • This reply was modified 11 months ago by arbe.
    Attachments:
    chris
    Participant

The blades look to be ok, perhaps a little worn but serviceable
    I have a 401. Which I use on the veg plot, During operation it suggests that the machine or blades should weave their way through the ground, it aids progress through the soil, maybe a 4 inch weave is what I do on deep work, this would remove the problem of the uncultivated portion around the drive case.
    Perhaps to facilitate the weave you would be better to remove the outer discs, I think they are for use in row crop work. But of course I could mistaken as I don’t have the discs for mine. Hope this helps, of course if I am wrong then the correct info would benefit me as well!

andyfrost
    Participant

Those rotors are perfectly serviceable , I use a vintage Honda f50 , and simply overlap the pass each time , that way you will cover all the ground. As Chris states , the outer discs are really “crop protection” discs.

Andy.

arbe
    Participant

This is damage that has been caused be trying to get the teeth to bite into the space where the gearbox is trying to push through earth in the center. However as Charlie pointed out maybe we are trying to get too deep. We will have to first repair the gearbox so that oil does not leak out. A new one is far too expensive over 400 dollars. We do have a Howard as well but yet to get the engine up and running.

Attachments:
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.