gravely model d single wheel cultivator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines gravely model d single wheel cultivator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hi can anyone tell me how to get the gearbox off the metal plate i have taken it all apart and got the rubber seal off leaving one large gear and a bearing but cant get it off the axel …the only thing i can think of is to block up the metal plate and with a piece of wood on the end of the axel and hit it out but thought i should ask first before i bust somthing
    many thanks
    pete
    there is one guy in france who knows about these but i lost his email sorry

hortiman
    Participant

You could try club member Tony Skingley I know he has one but not sure if he has stripped it down.
    Chris
    His details should be in the members directory

wristpin
    Participant

Think that the French Gravely addict is on the forum as andre-MAZET

vhgmcbuddy

Hello Peter

A photo will help me to exactly understand what you need. To take off the gearbox (the one which have the “pat dec 1916?) seems easy: after scewing off the littles bolts as you say, with a wooden piece you can put apart the box taking care of the big gasket. May be you gear box is “glued” with years.
    Don’t forget the two bigger bolts.
    If you go to the forum “Gravely Tractor Club of America” you’ll find service manuals for english model D. Also you can ask to the “MERL” in Reading University for the same 1950 owner’s manuals and part lists.
    If you need more ask me and excuse my limited english
    AM

vhgmcbuddy

Hey Peter
    let me know if it’s the 137 or the 138 you’ve problem with
    Thank

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

hi andre
    what it is its the gear box that is conected to the wheel the casing spins around and as i said there is a bearing on the top right i will look up the numbers in the book and let you know shortly
    thanks
    pete

vhgmcbuddy

ok after finding out i had wiped off all my gravely stuff and down loaded it again this is what i have come up with
    i am trying to take 145 and 147 off of 144 and cant do it any ideas would be much appreciated
    thanks
    pete

vhgmcbuddy

Peter

If I understand well this is an inside gearbox (147 in the book)which wears two bearing and the one in the bottom is hard to take off: you must have a special tool to do that, ask a mecanic or a garage worker
    Or you talk about the big wheel bearing.
    I join a pic, so you can put a sign to show where is the difficulty
    regards
    André

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

hi Andre
    so what you are telling me is to take the bearing off which is a very tight fit and this will let me get the gear and the gear box cover off ,so its just the bearing keeping it on
    many thanks mate
    and to all aothers for there sugestions
    pete

vhgmcbuddy

I’m so sorry Pete but my limited english vocabulary doesn’t allow me to explain better
    I apologize and would you excuse me?
    AM

vhgmcbuddy

I’ve forgotten: can you give the plate number of your motocultivator? Usually it becomes with a “T”
    an american friend of mine tries to gather all the numbers of the still living models D in USA and Europe both american and english tractors.
    Also: is your tractor a simple clutch tractor or an “Imperial”tractor with fwd/rvs drive?
    Also: do you know that your Gravely comes from a factory which never existed: not a trace in Devon!!!!

vhgmcbuddy

Pete
    After reading and reading I may understand what you need: to take off the bif wheel and its gearbox from the wheel
    If I remember well there are two holes with thread in the wheel: you use atool used to take off pulleys (I don’t know the english word) and the wheel can jump out. Watch it’s hard work, so put oil and oil. After the gearbox comes easily
    Is that what you need?
    In this gear box there are felts gaskets(149) which are not available at all, so take a great care when you take the gearbox out. those are also in the 156 gearbox: usually there are two of them in each part
    Do you understand?

vhgmcbuddy

hi dont worry about your english its ok ,, i will get the numbers for you from both machines as i have 2 single wheel cultivators.. one is for spares as my first one had some aluminium welding done on the crank case and now will not fit properly and nothing turns when its done up so i will make 1 from 2 i hope
    all the best
    pete

vhgmcbuddy

hi there is a man called rollo man who has the register here in england
    pete

vhgmcbuddy

Ok Pete
    Can you help me to contact Rollo?
    My american friend is in Ohio and he is a member and officers of the Gravely tractor club of america: so they could exchange their infos, no?
    In an american forum, I discoverd a “pete0250” from Cambridge: is he you?
    Also I know a fellow who earns several Imperial D: if you want I can find his mail address
    I have got the gearbox 147 if you need it I can send it to you: let me know
    No more
    André

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.