Four Oaks Kent Pattern v Government Issue Sprayer

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements Four Oaks Kent Pattern v Government Issue Sprayer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

To continue the Forum posts submitted last week. Here’s comparison photos of my standard Kent Pattern Sprayer against the photos of the Government issue Four Oaks Kent pattern type. they’re similar but do not appear to be constructed the same.

Just similar style.

1 – no ‘rivets’ visible – smooth joint seems
    2 – large filler cap – easier to handle
    3 – recessed pressure gauge – less prone to damage
    4 – additional & more substantial back support padding
    5 – no commercial company logo plate [Government ID plate instead]

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Question for you, does Kent pattern refer to a pattern of sprayer peculiar to the county of Kent or does it relate to a manufacturers name? The reason for asking that I remember seeing Kent water meters and wonder if it was the same company.
    It is a nice find though whatever the answer is, i often wonder what other treasures are lurking in sheds and warehouses waiting to be discovered.

will-haggle
    Participant

Four Oaks used various county names and other quite random ones! Mostly place names of towns “Bridgwater” “Wisbeach” “Warwick” “Eley”, but the bucket sprayers were called “Farmer” “Farmer de Luxe” “Dairyman”. They also had “Colonial” “Conqueror” “Little Giant” “Victor” “Handy” etc…. I’ve attached their price list….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Started to put together a storage chest for the government issue sprayer plus parts based roughly on the one Spayerman has. Bear in mind I am not a carpenter!! I still have work to do on the interior.

Attachments:
    hillsider
    Participant

Nice job – you don’t intend it to escape do you!

vhgmcbuddy

I may have got slightly carried away!! The centre catch has a loop for padlock!

It came with various spares, filler funnel etc which I want to keep all together.

Not sure I’ll be able to pick it up on my own when I’ve finished though! I may need to fit it with wheels!!!

will-haggle
    Participant

Very nice, perhaps a coat of olive drab?

vhgmcbuddy

I did wonder. It looks a bit stark and new at the moment.

sprayerman
    Participant

Hi Steve,

Finally managed to work out how to sign up to the new site.

Question re your Military FO Sprayer – on mine the plate gives a date of manufacture, from memory mine was made sometime in 1960 – just wondered when yours was made?

I also think I have got some photo’s of the inside of the crate somewhere ( just had a new PC and still sorting things out – all pics and other useful bits are on an external drive at present), when I re-locate them I post some of them on here, for general view & so you can use a reference if you’d like.

Cheers

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Sprayerman

Good to see you’re on the new site.

My sprayer has the following on the ID plate:

CAT No: KE/CM/128GA
    M/c No: 0891
    Tested to 180 lbs per sq inch
    Date of Test: 11/1/57
    The Four Oaks Sprayer Machine Co Ltd

….but obviously no commercial company logo.

I do not think it has veer been used, but from the marks on the tank (from the rubber padding) and the box of bits it appears to have been in a box similar to yours at some stage.

I have been building the storage box using the photos on your website as a guide. But I’m adapting it very slightly to suit my carpentry skills (or lack of) and availability of fittings and materials. So far the box is costing more than the sprayer!! I hope to finish it this weekend – although not sure if that’ll quite work out as things always take longer than I think they’re going to!

Regards
    Steve

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Sprayerman

One question – where is the funnel stored in the box you have? I can’t see it in your photos so am not sure where it goes or how it’s retained in place.

vhgmcbuddy

Have now finished the storage box, except for a couple of coats of paint. But sure where the funnel should be stored so its just dropped in down one side.

Attachments:
    sprayerman
    Participant

Aah. Yes the funnel – well until I saw the funnel in one of your earlier pictures attached to one of your posts I hadn’t realised it should have one!

That said it looks like you have it located in pretty much the correct place – there isn’t the room anywhere else in the chest for it to be located.

I guess the funnel got parted from my set some time in the past!! – from the photo it looks like a useful item of kit so I can perhaps understand why it disappeared from my set.

That case looks seriously good – think you are being a bit modest about your carpentry skills – am looking forward to seeing it painted in due course.

Cheers

vhgmcbuddy

Could have sworn I posted these photos of the finished box – but perhaps not. Anyway, here they are….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Managed to make a couple of rope rings for handles recently. So have removed the modern metal handles and fitted the rope ones.

Quite pleased with the end result.

[I also ‘watched paint dry’ with a beer in hand when I finished!!]

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.