Farmers boy series 2 problems

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Farmers boy series 2 problems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    carlharper
    Participant

Hi all took my farmers boy to little ellingham working weekend topped up the oil and it leaked what seals should i get. And how easy is it to do .

roatavator
    Participant

Hi Carl. Good to see her in action. I’ve no knowledge of them, but I did seals on one of my SIMARS a few years ago and it was a bu###r of a job! I have found though that formerly leaky seals do improve and leak a lot less the more use the machine gets. And it’s a good excuse to get them out as often as possible! Peter

darmic1
    Participant

Hi, Whereabouts did it leak from?
    The axles don’t actually have seals…. They have bronze bushes, which will allow a small amount of oil past. however if there is severe wear on both the shaft and bushes then lots will leak out!
    My series 2 Farmers Boy required both a new shaft turning and new bushes fitting to make it almost oil tight. Have a look at my restoration story of the Farmers Boy Light Tractor in the Projects section…..

carlharper
    Participant

Hi dermic1 it has been leaking from r/h side standing in front of the machine.
    I may need thicker oil . What oil do you put in . I am going to re engine the farmers boy with a mk 12 engine. It has mk15 high speed .
    Carl Harper

darmic1
    Participant

Hi Carl
    I use Sae30 grade, classic oil thats EP free to prevent the possiblity of damage to the bronze bearings/bushes……

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.