Coleby Shire Tractor

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Coleby Shire Tractor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    franktonpaget
    Participant

I wonder if anybody in VHGMC purchased recently the Coleby Shire tractor advertised in need of restoration but with implements and also particularly rare Sales Literature/Purchase invoices for the machine.

You do not see many of these machines about and I do hope it gets restored and displayed with copies of the literature would make a interesting exhibit.

I do not know if any of our members in Kent can put any meat on the bones, I think Mr Fred Coleby
    was one of the earliest manufacturers of two wheel cultivators (CGL ?)and they were marketed initially solely through Stanhay.Later he seems to have marketed his machines under the name of Coleby Cultivators Ltd. To produce the Coleby Shire or CP SIX he seems like many others did take his Jersey Senior Model two wheel cultivator and add a steerable front axle .

Lets hope we see it out and about next year

Well it is nice to be the first on the Ride on Machines Section of the Forum

regards FP

wingnut
    Participant

i spoke to the guy at newwark who sold it on ebay and he has 2 more of them.

vhgmcbuddy

are they in the same condition i thought that one was marvless sadly it was 400 pound more than i bidded wot a great piece ov history i wish it was in my collection i still have it on my watch list

mickb
    Participant

Hi, I am a new member & owner of the Coleby Shire purchased off Ebay in September. There were 2 on Ebay that month, one was a very tidy example, mine is the one from Derbyshire needing restoration. It does need a lot of work, in particular the gearbox which obviously suffered a failure before being left out in the elements for 20 years & filling with water. This is the biggest challenge as a gear or two will be required along with bearings etc.
    The engine is seized but should be ok, I have no idea what make it is & can find nothing that resembles it in books or on the net. According to the limited literature that I have, BSA was used (it is not one of those) or JAP model 6 (not that either but barrel/head look exactly like JAP items). All I know so far is the bore diameter is 80mm, it has a Wico mag & Zenith carb.
    Perhaps someone can help me here as I (& my 12 year old apprentice) are keen to learn as much possible about this intriguing little tractor. The intention is to show it (hopefully next year, but may be optimistic), I also have a 1946 Kendall tractor.

will-haggle
    Participant

There was a post about Coleby Tractors on Tractorbox, here’s a link….

http://www.tractorbox.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1299

vhgmcbuddy

post some pics of engine someone will no and identyfy this is a very good and helpfull forum best o luck cant wait to have a gander lol

mickb
    Participant

OK, here are some pics. Hoping someone has seen something like it before.

Attachments:
    mickb
    Participant

Sorry, 2 more here.

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

I think this is Coleby’s own….

mickb
    Participant

Thanks Alan,
    That did cross my mind, in that case mine is possibly a later model? Certainly all photos of other colebys have BSA or JAP as per the sales brochure. Should make finding parts even more of a challenge!

hortiman
    Participant

The only one I have seen was fitted with a JAP 55 twin cylinder engine.I have a photo somewhere.
    Chris

jtg1
    Participant

thanks chris for refering to mine again. it is most certainly a jap derived engine. from years of chasing coleby’s all 4 wheelers i’ve come accross are different. to my knowledge there are two bsa engined models, with a 320, and a 420 cc engine. plus single or twin engine j.a.p engines. in both petrol, and petrol parifin veersions. yours is the first one i’ve seen with a jap derived engine, similar to as fitted in the 2 wheelers. over the years i’ve only come accross 4 4 wheelers other than my own , which has a jap 55 twin. sadly i’ve been without a computer since september, so missed out on this dirth of bay of e exposure.

franktonpaget
    Participant

Just recently received some Coleby Shire information and from this three models are given :-

Mk1 has BSA model G/PL Petrol 5.75bhp
    MK2 has JAP model 6, 6.75 bhp at 2400rpm
    MK3 has JAP model 55, 10bhp at 2400rpm
    Hope this assists

regards FP

trusty220
    Keymaster

Spam and tag removed.

trusty220
    Keymaster

More spam removed

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.