Changing oil in an Allen Scythe

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Changing oil in an Allen Scythe

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rowan-bradley
    Participant

I’ve just bought a Allen Motor Scythe (model T with the Villiers 25c 2-stroke engine) which I plan to restore. It has spent many years in a shed somewhere, not being used. The first questions that I have run into is, how do I change the oil in the transmission? In particular, how do I drain out all the old oil? It seems to have a filler plug, and a level plug, but strangely not a drain plug, which seems to imply that I have to turn the whole machine upside down to drain the oil out. There must surely be a better way? I would like to inspect the old oil for bits of metal, broken gear teeth etc. that may indicate other tasks that I need to do.

Other questions:
    – can I use flushing oil in the transmission to clean it out, or will this do any harm?
    – If I put a bit of oil into the cylinder through the spark plug hole, am I risking damaging anything by turning over the engine, and (once I’ve cleaned out the petrol tank and the carburettor) trying to start the engine?

Thank you – Rowan

rowan-bradley
    Participant

Can I just remove all the bolts around the gearbox, and lift the top off to clean out any old oil/sludge, and inspect the gears for damage? To do this presumably I have to support the bottom of the gearbox on a pile of bricks or similar, because I think the top of the gearbox supports the whole weight of the machine. I guess one has to take all the weight off the wheels and axle before removing the top of the case.

Is there any reason that I should not drill a drain hole at the lowest point in the bottom of the gearbox case?

Thank you – Rowan

arbe
    Participant

How have you got on with this operation?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.