Can anyone identify this mower?

Home Forums Groundcare Machinery Grass Cutting Machinery Can anyone identify this mower?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    charlie
    Keymaster

A request to identify the mower in the attached photograph has been received, can anyone help with make and model?
    Villiers engine with kick start.

Attachments:
    andyfrost
    Participant

Charlie , it’s a Hayter , but don’t recall the model name , a neighboring grower to my Father had one which we used to borrow , I spent many hours using it.

Andy.

trusty220
    Keymaster

It looks very Hayter-ish. Hayter Motor Scythe would be my guess but I don’t have a picture of one with those guards and that engine so I can’t be sure.

Any ideas, fellas?

trusty220
    Keymaster

Hi, Andy, it looks like we’re answering at the same time- good to see we agree with each other!

charlie
    Keymaster

Thank you to both of you, a very speedy response.

wristpin
    Participant

It’s a 24” Hayter Scythe with an Agricultural / forestry, compliant guard kit. We used to refer to them as “wheelbarrow Hayters”. Usually with a Mk15 Villiers which was mounted on two oak blocks to get the shaft height right as the height of cut was adjusted by raising or lowering the complete cutter spindle and blade carrier. Both sides of the swinging blades could be used by changing the twist in the belt to alter the direction of rotation. The machine was in production from 1953 to 1960.

andyfrost
    Participant

Like all Hayters they were well built , but painfully underpowered.

Andy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.