british juniour head gasket set needed

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines british juniour head gasket set needed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

hi all im new here n just trying this site out as ive recently acquired 2 howard gems and a trusty tractor the problem I have is one of the gems was a non runner and upon further investigation I found the head gasket well and truly blown I believe it to be a british junior engine anyone know of anywhere I can acquire a head gasket set from please

hortiman
    Participant

You could try Chester Hudson, http://www.tillerparts.com But can’t be sure if he has any now.
    Chris

hortiman
    Participant

Chester Hudson- 07836 210363.

vhgmcbuddy

thanks for info but upon further inspection found the rings seized as well so am just concidering my options at the minute

charlie
    Keymaster

If the rings are seized in the piston grooves you can try freeing them off by gently scrapping the carbon away with an old feeler gauge. I did this with a JAP engine on a Gunsmith.

vhgmcbuddy

there doesn’t seem to be any carbon on them the piston is grazed on one side its lookin like the crank is broke now lol if I didn’t hav bad luck I don’t think id hav any at all not to worry see wot misfortune tomorrow brings

vhgmcbuddy

snap….i have just got a trusty tractor 2 gems 1 with a BJ and the newer one with a jap….and a 350
    not had time to go thruw them to much as yet…350 runs..the trusty jap5 has a spark

vhgmcbuddy

Gareth still has them listed on his Howard Gems site:

http://howardgem.webs.com/decalshelp.htm

dont know how the BJ crank is made, but the Aussie Junior is an assembled crank
    and is practically unbrakeable. that said, it is also true that having more components,
    there are more things can go wrong with it. a scored piston would indicate serious dirt
    in crankcase, and or lack of oil. just to ‘go ahead and make your day’ i have to say it,
    this all adds up to more bad news for all mechanical parts.

looking on the bright side, the more things to fix, the more fun we have fixing them!

cheers Rod.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi, yes the head gaskets are still avaliable, however they are listed on behalf of a college, if you pm me your number I’ll give you the contact number so you can deal direct. I’m having a lot of trouble with my emails so numbers would be better. When I’ve wanted piston rings I’ve obtained over size ones from Chester and ground them down to suit. I did have a couple of good bottom ends but after getting constantly messed about by idiots on ebay I sent a lot of items like that to scrap, a great shame but I lost my storage shed and even offering them for less than scrap I was constantly messed about. Scored pistons are often a sign of dirt ingress, however with these old engines it needent be terminal, I’ve had them looking like ploughed fields and the rings pinched into the groves yet they still start and run very well,the rpm is so low nothing has to be perfect, simply rub the high spots down with emery paper, if you can hone the barrel and you may be surprised. Don’t forget these engines had a tapered bore, it’s quite a bit bigger at the bottom than the top. The other thing that you’re almost guaranteed to find is a lot of valve guide wear, again unless it’s really bad don’t worry. Grind the valves in, get the timing right and just a bit of compression then they will run.

vhgmcbuddy

If you run into trouble getting a gasket for the British Junior engine, I made one out of 2mm Aluminium, use the old one as a pattern, I also did the same for my Jap 5 on the Anzani Iron horse, both work fine, to make a good seal, I always use blue gasket sealant.

stuart
    Participant

If you are interested i have a few parts for a BJ engine including a very good crankshaft assy, a cylinder head (which still has the copper head gasket in place),oil pump assy plus a few odds and ends.Send me a PM if you wish.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.