briggs 5 hp on howard rotovator throttle

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Garden implements briggs 5 hp on howard rotovator throttle

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    andyfrost
    Participant

It seems you have got it sorted , have you tried Briggsbits , I always find them most helpful , and assuming all your parts are original , with original cowling and correct numbers stamped , they will sort you out with the correct spring.

Andy.

wristpin
    Participant

`The governor spring is shown on that fig 56.
    Re your comment about no getting full throttle – butterfly wide open. Being a governed engine it will not be wide open if it’s reached its governed speed. The engine Type number will give the governed speed for your application. If I get a mo, I will dig out the appropriate micro fiche – and the reader – and post the correct speed later; probably between 2800 and 3000. Even with the correct spring it may be necessary to tweak (bend) its anchor to get the exact setting. It’s covered in the manual.
    Don’t be too hard on BS. Their service info and training was up with the best for the industry and was free to their appointed dealers, unlike some manufacturers who expected us to pay for the privilege .

richardd
    Participant

hi
    yes i think you could be right in the that the spring anchor on the throttle lever could need bending, i think the reason it is not getting full throttle is the spring is in the way.
    no comments about obvious design flaws lol.
    thanks for all your help

cheers richard

wristpin
    Participant

From your model and type numbers it appears that the correct part number for the governor spring is 260902, and the top no load setting should be 3000 rpm.
    The 260902 is shown as still available with a retail price of £8.16 inc vat.

Section 5 of the manual, page 25 of the section shows using a simple home made tool to “ tweak” the spring anchor. A piece of 8mm rod with a slot cut into one end and an L bend to aid controlled tweaking.8

Attachments:
    richardd
    Participant

my unit does not have a second shaft with the adjustment, it is all done by the preload on the spring, hidden between the fuel tank and engine which as an engineer is totally rubbish design anyone with a brain could see my set up would cause problems.
    one has to question B & S design team, why have they got dozens of engines and types of the same power, if they designed the first one right , there would be no need for all the variations and the nightmare of identufication. seriously considering dumping my b & s engine and getting something designed better

richard

wristpin
    Participant

That’s how I would expect it to be as the “second shaft” would have been removed when the engine was specified for cable operation. Your “ pre loaded” spring is the governor spring which deals with variation of power demand while the machine is working . Just set the tension on that spring to give 3000 rpm at full no load throttle. In use the governor will look after variations in power demanded by changes in soil conditions while working. Always assuming that the internal governor mechanism is working .
    Before jumping out of the fat into the fire with an engine swap, perhaps you should seek some local assistance from someone familiar with small horticultural engines. It could well be that what you see as a problem is quite normal for an unfamiliar setup. There may well be a VHGMC member in your locality who will assist you.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.