Barford Atom Leaking Oil Seals

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Barford Atom Leaking Oil Seals

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

After some basic restoration I’m starting to do the tricky stuff now, well tricky for me šŸ™‚ Wonder if anyone can help with tips on how to change the axle oil seals on my Barford Atom? Any info would be appreciated.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Philip
    How is the restoration of the atom giong ? I just picked up an a Barford Atom on Ebay at the weekend and frantically searching around for details on this beast.
    I did manage to download a pdf of the villiers mark 15 engine if that is of any use to you .

my email address derbygraham@gmail.com

best regard
    Graham

Hi Graham,

It’s going well thanks. I’m most keen to get the machine in full working order for ploughing the plot – not so worried about restoring to original/authentic condition (no.1 machine has a Honda G200 engine).

Managed to restore wheel hubs, replace throttle and create a dead-man’s handle. Worked out how to ‘rip’ out old oil shaft-seals and replaced with ones from Bearing King (one of many suppliers), the seals below, certainly were a good fit but not sure they stop all the gear box oil from escaping šŸ˜‰ ==> R21/SC Single Lip Nitrile Rotary Shaft Oil Seal with Garter Spring 1.1/2×2.3/16×3/8 Inch.

Nuts and bolts are easy to find once you’ve worked out the exact size in B.S.F.

No.2 machine (got the bug!) has the Villiers engine so would appreciate a copy of your pdf šŸ™‚

I suggest you buy the “Atom – 15/30” – Combined Instruction Book and Spare Parts List. Costs about Ā£10 on Eb@y and is well worth the money, has various diagrams of the Atom parts and detailed instruction manual.

Best regards,
    Phil

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Phil
    I managed to find a manual and hoping it arrives in Derby before the weekend. Where are you based ? May I ask if you have any tips on best way to restore the wheels hubs ? In fact, any tips for restoring would be welcome.
    regards
    Graham

Attachments:

Hi Graham,
    Looks like you’ve got a good project there šŸ˜‰ I’m miles away from you down South-KT8, usually have to drive a distance to pick-up this kit from auctions! Got some good London clay down the plot that needs ploughing! In the Atom – 15/30 manual is a diagram of the wheel hub and free wheel housing. It’s simple construction and all comes apart relatively easily with the help of LOTS of WD40!! All the nuts are BSF so you’ll need the correct spanners so as not to burr the nuts. Screws in housing will be tight. Attached pics are of one i haven’t touched yet, the pawls are missing though. Hopefully there shouldn’t be too much wear. A wire brush cleans-up most of it well then some metal grease to finish.
    Regards,
    Phil

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi Phil
    Hope your project is going well. I was up in Derby last night and managed to strip the engine down before popping to the pub. Took the tappers lid off and found one of the valves was stuck. We took that out and now have the task of grinding it down.

This morning managed to take the cover off to reveal the magneto. I came across a fantastic youtube video where a young lad was working on his villiers engine. Some good tips. Millenials are great !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukASbs3br0&t=407s

I look forward to the day I can use it on my allotment plot in Finchley. Where are you based ?
    best regards
    Graham

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Phil

I cam across a group on facebook you may be interested in. Called “The Barford Atom owners” group.

regards
    Graham

ben6smith
    Participant

Hi Phil. Iā€™m currently having the same problem with my Barford atom leaking from the axle seals? Please could you shed some light on how you managed to remove the old seals? Cheers Ben

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.