Barford Atom

Home Forums General Help and information Barford Atom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    farmer
    Participant

Can anyone help with the BS paint code for the Barford Atom? Thank you

charlie
    Keymaster

A question that has been asked before which I don’t think has had a definite answer.

alan
    Participant
    mickattwo
    Participant

I have one stripped at the moment and had it blasted and painted Post Office Red and it looks good
    I would be open to offers as I will not be able to assemble because of artherites in my fingers.
    Mk30

farmer
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I agree the I could paint any colour that suited me but it is the same amount of work to paint it the correct colour, so that is why I asked. Also in looking at a British Standard colour chart I see that Carnival red is shown to be the name for two colours, BS04E53 and BS04E56. The latter one is darker. Names are really meaningless we should quote British standards. It would be good if the club posted a chart of known colours, updated as time goes on.

charlie
    Keymaster

The idea of publishing a list of paint codes is a good one. The problem is very few are known for certain.

farmer
    Participant

A company based in Retford found the code in their records to enable me to paint my Barford Atom. They name their red, Post Office/Cherry Red. A number 921002L is also shown on the label. Their paint is a quality product that both sprays and brushes. I used it to paint the wheels Coastguard Yellow, 4488553. Unfortunately they do not quote a standard colour code. The numbers may only be batch numbers. I have no connection with this company except as a satisfied customer.

alan
    Participant

I’m of the same opinion as others that whatever the paint used it will still take the same effort and time to apply it, it’s therefore worthwhile trying to get the correct paint or as near as possible for whatever project or seeing if a paint supplier has any details in their records like Farmer has, above.

If in doubt then the best piece of advice is always to have an un-faded piece of the original colour matched, this gives the guarantee that one can always say it was matched to the original machine if anyone challenges (or criticises) it.

Paint colours will always be a thorny issue as not many original specifications are known. Also, what one person deems correct may not suit another and likewise their ideal paint colour or code may be an expensive disappointment for another too.

If I ever compiled a list of ‘ideal’ colours on the website then I think it’d be under the heading “This is how I painted my machine, I like it, I think it’s correct, but no guarantees given if it’s replicated !”.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Certainly with the Trusty the shades of green varied considerably. Paint was difficult to come by and many manufacturers used what they could get their hands on most of the time, so it would be difficult to pin down a paint code as a definitive one.

I think Alan’s advice is the best- find a piece that has not been exposed to the sunlight and get it colour-matched by a professional tradesman.

ranchero
    Participant

unless your machine has had a repaint In the past. I know my landmaster has been repainted twice so I will not be able match to original.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.