Bantam/Villiers 15HS timing…..

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Bantam/Villiers 15HS timing…..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

rusticratbag posted an update 21 hours, 47 minutes ago
    Can anyone help? I’ve just bought a Howard Bantam, Villiers ohv engine, quite good nick apart from stuck valve (easily sorted) and no spark. Machine and engine are nicely designed and made, ohv seems very posh for the time (late 50s, early 60s?) flywheel comes off easily without the usual puller huffing and puffing, but it isn’t splined on the shaft so now I’ve lost the ignition timing: how many degrees btdc for points opening, and what should the gap be? Only after I got it off did I notice that there’s a mark on the casing and an arrow on the f/w but is that the timing mark or just the tdc? Also the machine’s forward drive selector is seized; what’s the remedy? And where (if???) can I get engine and machine parts pref. East Sussex……e.g. carb bits etc. Help/advice and comments would be much appreciated!

stuart
    Participant

Ignition timing for a MK15HS (High Speed) engine is 1/8″ BTDC.Loosen the flywheel so that its free to turn on the crankshaft.With the piston placed at 1/8″ BTDC slowly turn the flywheel until the points are just opening and then tighten the flywheel.Make sure the crankshaft remains stationary when the flywheel is tightened or the timing will be out !!

hortiman
    Participant

hello rusticratbag

One of the best people to contact with your problem, for advice and spares is- Jon Cruse, The Mower Centre, Vicarage Road, Hailsham, East Sussex. 01323 842477. I am sur he will be able to help you, and he has a postal service for parts, and a website.
    Not an evening person, as he operates during normal working hours including Saturday mornings.
    Chris.
    I used to deal with him when we lived in Ringmer, East Sussex.

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks Stuart and Hortiman.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.