Auto Culto

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hello All,
    I’m totally new to this. I’ve just acquired an Auto Culto Autogardener (I think) pics attached. I think it has a Mk15 Villiers engine that runs. That is my sum total of knowledge. I want to restore it to as near original condition as possible. Is there anyone out there who is prepared to answer daft questions? such as my first one of how does the throttle cable route and attach to the carb. (I realise that the carb is missing its bowl and filter).

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the world of old garden machinery. The throttle connects in a similar way to the one below, which is on a Barford Atom.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

will-haggle
    Participant

Here’s a picture of my Autogardener (blue) and my Junior (yellow).

Attachments:
    will-haggle
    Participant

There is a register for Autoculto machines, run by Jim Beacon it’s at http://www.g1jbg.co.uk/autoculto/index.htm

vhgmcbuddy

Thank you, the pics are a great help. Do I have to put a lead substitute additive in the petrol and what is the modern equivalent oil for the sump?

charlie
    Keymaster

I would recommend a lead substitute such as Castrol Valvemaster, it is also worth using an additive such as Ethomix, this helps reduce some of the effects of ethanol in the fuel; it will not overcome material compatability issues. For more on fuel additives see FBHVC website also includes list of tested and approved additives.
    Original oil would have been Castrol XL SAE30 or similar, this oil is still available, Morris Oils also do a suitable one. Do not use a modern multigarde oil, the detergents in it will wash sludge etc from engine and could block oil ways.

vhgmcbuddy

If you read the original instruction book that went with the Auto Culto “Autogardener” and the “Junior” you will find they did not have an adjustable throttle control, there is no mention of such a control in the instructions and none in the spare parts list, both mdels used the Villiers Mk15 engine with the overhead valves, the only control cable on my machines is the clutch cable, but someone will have more detail than me.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for that. Obviously someone has added that part over the years.I’m now wondering if the carb is wrong. Mine is a V1335c with a transparent cup and filter. Does anyone know if this is correct?
    I’m getting quite fanatical about all this, is this normal? I used to think that this sort of thing was reserved for anoraks with nothing better to do!

vhgmcbuddy

I am afraid that it is a creeping Illness that can overtake a normal person, to such an extent that they are quite unable to operate in normal social gatherings, Panic attacks start when the victim realises that not everyone they talk to understands, or is even remotely interested in Rotorvators, clutches and throttle cables, and eventually they begin to realise that it is not just the “Others” who are the Anoraks.

jim-beacon
    Participant

The Autogardener has a throttle control, the Junior does not.
    Engine oil is SAE30, gear box and chaincase are SAE140 (I use the Goldenfilm classic oils from Morris lubricants, as they are compatible with the bearing materials in these machines).
    Lead replacement additive is probably not needed, as these engines are designed to run on low octane petrol. Ethanol in the petrol does tend to go off, and can cause problems with some fuelpipes.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.