Allen Scythe Wheels Problem

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe Wheels Problem

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi

I am new here.
    I recently acquired a 1949 Allen Scythe Model T. It had not been used for years and the tyres were perished. So I have put new tyres and inner tubes on. But now I find that the right hand tyre is rubbing the handle. On closer inspection the splined part of the axle is protruding about 1/2 inch more on that side than the other. So has the wheel shifted in some way?
    I also noted that when I had it on its side to put the tyres on, that side leaked oil between the main casing and the axle casing. (I had drained the oil out, so this was just a dribble, but no oil leaked out the other side).
    Any suggestions as to why the wheel is too close to the casing would be gratefully received!

charlie
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum.If you could add a couple of photos showing each side it will help identify what has happened.(there is a post in help and information section with a guide to adding photos if you have problems).

vhgmcbuddy

Ok here are a couple of photos,- I might have got my lefts and rights mixed up….but the views from the handles, the rear, show the tyre on the wheel on the right hitting the handle, but not for the wheel on the left. And that wheel on the right – the ‘not OK’ one – is the one on the right in the photo ‘from above’ and you can see a lot of oil leaked out of the join between the wheel casing and the main casing when I laid the Allen Scythe on its side to put the left hand tyre on. That right hand wheel has a smallest bit of wobble, which I don’t know if it is significant. But it is definitely closer to the handles by about an inch. Handles are not bent…..!
    If anyone can make suggestions I’d be grateful. But I suppose the bottom line is I need to get that wheel off.
    Thanks

R

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

A couple more photographs of the axle, wheel off. The key came out relatively easy – just a 1/2 hour of levering and persuading. Is it as simple as the lugs on the tyre are too big on the inside and hit the handle? No, can’t be, clearance even without them is minimal. I could put a spacer in behind the wheel….

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

I have removed the other wheel and both stub axles look exactly the same – 15 cm of axle both sides projecting from the casing.
    I was just looking at the parts manual and I notice on plate 3 there is a part number and description for the long 3 foot axle (477) and collar (x4) (478) for the long 3 foot axle. But there is another thinner collar pictured (476) but there is no description for that number. Does a normal axle have collars? Is that what this is? Because if so, my axle doesn’t have none. Such spacers (or collars) would fix my problem. Any ideas anyone please?

charlie
    Keymaster

Thanks for adding the photos. Plenty for our Allen Scythe experts to look at. I have an Allen Scythe buried in the shed and will see if it has any spacers.

vhgmcbuddy

Ok Charlie, many thanks.

charlie
    Keymaster

Looking at my Allen Scythe there are spacers, look like large washers approximately 1/4″ thick.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie

Interesting. Do you think there is any firm that would sell such a thing – or two. Or four;I noticed that for the long axle there were four collars listed in the parts list I mentioned.
    It would probably be easier – and cheaper – to get them made up.
    Many thanks for your help
    Robin

alan
    Participant

I’ve had a look at my Allen scythe and there’s a large washer-like spacer on each axle. Even so the right wheel (from the operators position) is still really close to the handles. Photo attached.

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Alan. That spacer looks brass, or is that a trick of the light? Strange that the right hand handle is closer to the wheel than the left – I would expect the whole thing to be symmetrical.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.