Allen scythe what is it ??

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen scythe what is it ??

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Just brought an Allen Scythe 4 stroke, goes like stik but have not used one since the 1950/60s when I was a boy (started age 9, no health and safety in those days).
    but there is a bit i do not recognise and does not seem to do anything, please take a look at the pic it is the sprung lever on side of casing, seems broken and if you have any idea what it is let me know Thanks!!

Attachments:
    wristpin
    Participant

It’s the engine governor.the long end of the lever to the right of your image should have a link going to the throttle butterfly which may be part of the carburettor or installed in the inlet manifold. As shown it is set up with a fixed throttle (the threaded rod with the lock nuts) so possibly no speed control on the handlebars – depending on the type of carb fitted ?
    If that doesn’t make sense pls take a wider angle image including the carburettor.

vhgmcbuddy

Looks like the end has broken off I could be wrong ? the end that goes to the butterfly.. could do with a better image of it .

vhgmcbuddy

Here we go, is it like this ?

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks yes you seem to have identified it , better pic attatched, any idea where I might get one and what is the adjustment necessary if any.
    Also two bolts have come loose and lost the nuts, they go through the rocker arm, any idea of their spec as metric is my game and these are obviously imperial, and again any idea where I might get another couple of bolts and nuts, or maybe just nuts.
    thanks.

Attachments:
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.