Allen scythe slip clutch

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen scythe slip clutch

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I’ve just acquired a Model T Allen scythe and had to adapt a 3hp Briggs to it, got it all running fine then clutch issues, removed it, did the minimum required to deglaze it, took 20 thou off each disc spigot to prevent them touching and reinstalled careful to ensure it went back together the with the discs in original position either side of the gear,new oil of correct weight yet still doesn’t work even though the nut on the spring is ‘tight as’. Then thought maybe it should be assembled ‘dry’ so removed clutch clean it of oil and reinstalled, still no drive.
    Any suggestions?
    I’m at a loss, maybe a gear oil would be better for use here in Australia?

stuart
    Participant

Has the bronze worm wheel stripped its teeth ???.If its been abused / poorly maintained then you may have to get inside the drive train to see whats going on.

vhgmcbuddy

Worm wheel is good
    No drive to worm wheel or crank as clutch just slips constantly, everything moves free and easy, cutter bar been overhauled, moves freely and smoothly.
    clutch shows no sign of excessive wear – no ‘step’ worn into the gear.
    It cut and drove well for ten minutes after engine conversion, had complete overhaul of everything except slip clutch, then the clutch started slipping, I adjusted it, it worked sporadically, then nothing, cleaned the clutch, still nothing.
    Just thinking, tomorrow I’ll check the coupling for the drive pinion, if that has failed where it is located within the adapter plate . .

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.