Allen Scythe 12 tooth gear..?

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Allen Scythe 12 tooth gear..?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all,
    (New prospective member here..!)

I have just bought an Allen Scythe (1949 model) and am having trouble locating the correct 12 tooth drive side gear. The pic below shows my original one on the right, with an integral collar (which is 0.320″ / 8.2mm deep)
    The one on the left, is the type I’ve been sold so far.. Unfortunately, it sits too far back on the tapered shaft to be of any use on my machine.
    Does anyone know where I can get one?
    Thank you!
    Brian

Allen scythe gear photo image.jpg1_zpsx87pjllz.jpg

vhgmcbuddy

…Forgot to say, it’s for a Villiers 25c engine..!
    Thanks. 🙂

charlie
    Keymaster

A good second hand one may be the only option. More costly option, if the correct gear cannot be found, is to get one made.

vhgmcbuddy

Can a collar not be machined and added to it to move it further out?

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for your replies.
    Guess I will have to find a local engineer that does small jobs at reasonable cost (if one still exists!)
    I think with a separate collar, the gear itself would be loose on the taper.. Maybe a skilled engineer would know how to adapt it.
    I assumed with the Allen being made for so many years – there would be loads of spares in existence – but then again, how much demand is there now? Tons of parts probably went for scrap years ago.
    Thanks anyway. 😊

charlie
    Keymaster

Have you tried John Cruse at The Mower Centre, Hailsham?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Charlie,
    Tried John Cruse, Chester Hudson, VilliersParts, VilliersServices, and Meetens so far..
    Just sent an email to LS engineers too..

Brian.

vhgmcbuddy

Brian,

Bore out the new one and machine off the teeth on the old one and press and weld the two parts together?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi Rocboni,
    Thanks for the suggestions – something for me to look into. I don’t have the facilities or know-how myself, I’ll have to search out a local engineer, and see what they can do.😊

charlie
    Keymaster

We have a good engineering company just round the corner, P & A Leat, I am sure they could do it. Not sure where you are but they are in Midsomer Norton.

vhgmcbuddy

I could do it if your stuck, you would need to send them though.

vhgmcbuddy

Very kind of you, Rocboni – I may need to take you up on that – Thank you! 😊

– I’ll see if I get a response from the few emails I’ve sent today, and see what (if anything, arises) – maybe one will turn up in the meantime..)
    – I’m in Melksham, Wilts – so not too far from Midsomer Norton either.

Brian

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.