2014 Ploughing Championship sat 11/12 oct

Home Forums The Main Forum Area General talk and discussion 2014 Ploughing Championship sat 11/12 oct

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chap
    Participant

64th British National Ploughing Championships & Country Festival

Wootton St Lawrence, near Basingstoke, Hampshire.
    The Horticultural Ploughmen will be in action on Sat 11th come and support them its a good day out anyway show and demonstrations.

Attachments:
    chap
    Participant

Wet conditions flinty lots of chopped straw made things hard Work Shane Parry was a clear winner with Alex Marks 2nd Sam Hitchman 3rd Brian Carter 4th David Williams 5th

Attachments:
    trustymasseyman
    Participant

Well done guys

vhgmcbuddy

Hi all
    an excellent 2 days and for me only a fields walk away from home!
    Very interested in the ploughing and now considering a machine to take part with next year. I am looking at two wheel walk behind so apart from the anzani and trustys that were there what else would be suitable, any info most welcome. Are there any more working events or matches coming up?

vhgmcbuddy

i met shane for the first time on saturday, his ploughing stood out from the rest at the start. very nice bloke as were the other entrants. nice day
    here are a few pictures that i took

Attachments:
    chap
    Participant

Hi Wandr in my opinion walk behinds are rated 1st Trusty 2nd Anzani 3rd anything else to be honest if you want to have ago and you are competative the trusty will do the job best followed by the iron horse of course there are others garner 2 wheeler, autoculto,clifford, simar, and so on i have even ploughed against a mayfield but that was on light licolnshire land. there are lots of trustys around on that auction site at sales or just ask at shows or put a wanted add in the Cultivator, good luck.
    http://www.ploughmen.co.uk

andyfrost
    Participant

Only my personal opinion here , Trustys left the competition standing when it came to the actual plough itself , I’m far from convinced that the Trusty was actually the best machine. If competition ploughing is your aim , then yes , a Trusty is the way to go , but it is nice to see some of the lesser known machines at work , even if you don’t score as many points.

Andy.

vhgmcbuddy

Many thanks for the replies,that gives me something to go on. I did want to get a Nuffield universal 3 tractor but in the end it seemed expensive for a toy and much harder to transport! Now the only problem is that I don’t know how to plough!!

vhgmcbuddy

just print off the ploughing guide from this forum get along to a few local matches chat with the other entrants and it all becomes easier to follow. some will do lots of practice before even thinking of entering, i personally had a bit of practice then took the plunge and entered a few local matches. scored 99 of 140 for my first go. most will be very happy to give you advice on how and what to do. the most important thing is to enjoy it, not worry how good or bad you are as it will all come with practice

dave
    Participant

Hi Wandr, Come to Weeley next September with or without a machine and we will
    help you all we can with a loan of a machine or help with your own machine.
    There will be several acres of land to play on and lots of (expert) advice
    and help at hand.
    Dave.

vhgmcbuddy

Very many thanks for that offer Dave, with regard to machines to purchase I would think that spares supply may dictate choice of machine especially with regard to tyres. I have seen an Auto Culto Gardener complete with plough which might be good but I have heard that tyres for this one are all but impossible to obtain and I suspect that these may be a frequent replacement when using on fields etc

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.