Trusty bolts.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    joegrgraham
    Participant

Evening all,
    As some of you may know, I’m slowly resurrecting a large pile of Ferrous Oxide that once upon a time were a selection of Trusty attachments (plough, self-lift cultivator spud lifter etc).
    Does anyone know of a source for the bolts with the large shoulder that hold the adjusting screws in place? As I break one, I’m taking one from an item further down the list and so slowly painting myself into a corner!

Joe.

charlie
    Keymaster

Joe, a photo would help for us non Trusty members.

joegrgraham
    Participant

Here’s a pic of the bolt.

Joe

Attachments:
    charlie
    Keymaster

Photo is a bit blurred but I am guessing it is a square headed coach bolt, ie it has a smaller square below the head to stop it turning when fitted in a square hole or in a slot and has a whitworth thread. Looking around this link might be useful http://www.myersblacksmiths.co.uk/#/rivets-bolts/4565523902

joegrgraham
    Participant

Thanks for the link Charlie, will have a look. I’ve put up a pic to show it in context, easier than trying to explain.
    The shoulder is round, not square, to allow the ally part to pivot as the screw is wound up and down.

Attachments:
    trusty-mad
    Participant

i could be wrong but i don’t think you can buy them. they have a round section just below the head not a square.

terrano
    Participant

I’ve used a threaded stud cut to length and a collar turned to inside, outside dia. as the stud nips the collar when tightened but allows it to turn.

charlie
    Keymaster

I see now, it is a shouldered bolt, no idea if you can buy them off the shelf, probably cost a fair bit to get some made. Using a collar on a standard bolt sounds like the best option.

dave
    Participant

Hi all, If the bolts are threaded into aluminium the thread form should
    be whitworth form.

trusty220
    Keymaster

I have had to make my own in the past. They are Whitworth thread and you can turn a collar to fit over the thread which does the same job as the shoulder. The hexagon head is a problem because it is far bigger than the normal hex for that thread size- I have sawn the hex off a new Whitworth bolt and drilled it out and tapped it to accept the thread. A lot of work, but you simply can’t get these bolts anywhere.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.