The Gamage Garden Roller circa 1924 Approx

Home Forums General Help and information The Gamage Garden Roller circa 1924 Approx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    brook-mead
    Participant

Would any members know how do you split the roller drum from the spindle on the above roller, I a have just purchased one and the drum and spindle are seized.

Looking forward to any advice

Kind Regards

Colin Hayden

charlie
    Keymaster

Colin, could you post a photo please, it might help us work out a solution.

alan
    Participant

Research on Gamages a while back showed that the rollers may have been made by a local foundry and possibly some could have come from Thomas Green & Sons – although this irrelevant piece of info doesn’t get your roller apart!

Can I ask, how it has been dated to circa 1924?

brook-mead
    Participant

Hello Charlie,

looked up Gamage garden rollers on the internet and found a picture of one just like mine by the Royal Collection Trust with the headline garden roller 1924 Queen Mary’s Dolls House Windsor whatever that means, and concluded my roller was from that circa.

Kind regards

Colin

brook-mead
    Participant

Hello Alan,

If you read the post I sent to Charlie it was meant for you regarding garden roller circa 1924.

Kind regards Colin

charlie
    Keymaster

Full details of Queen Marys Dolls House

hdtrust
    Participant

Hi Collin
    Just been looking at the Gamage’s roller, OK Gamage’s sold this roller with their name on it, like a lot of Ironmongers did, Allan is quite right T Greens of Leeds did make many garden rollers under their own name and others, the termination for this type of implement selling is and was called catalogue machines.
    However in this case, Green’s did not make rollers for Gamage. Infact there was a society which evolved within all the different manufacturers of garden rollers.
    It was Qualcast of Derby who made the Gamage roller, now with the history laid to one side, let me try and sort your problem out!
    The reason why your roller is ceased, at some point it has been left outside in the elements, where water has got into the journals where the axle is, now what you cannot see from looking at it at the moment is what is inside. Your roller has two castings that you can see, the idea is as you turn a corner, they should independently rotate different ways on that axle, where they will be ceased is in the middle, as well as slightly on each end.
    What you do. First remove the handle from the two bolts on either side. Then you need to make a cradle on the ground of say two concrete blocks of at least 6 inches high, place a timber plank on top (to cushion) then place the roller on its side on top so the axle is clear of the ground.
    Now the axle on the top can be worked on, there are many ways to do this, but to help free the journal pour diesel around the axle and leave for a couple of days, What I have done in the past is to heat up the side axle bracket with oxygen and propane, there is a bolt which fixes it to the axle which needs removing, with heat that then can be removed, which will open up your way to the journal, if you need to add pressure or shock by using a hammer only do it by hitting the axle and only then with a piece of wood between your hammer and the axle. do not hit the casting! A couple of days should free it, then once you get the axle out keep it well greased on replacing it. – best of luck.
    Regards
    Andrew

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.