Ransome MG2 manufacture date

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Ride-on machines Ransome MG2 manufacture date

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    oddhatuk
    Participant

Inspired by expeatfarmers pictures of MG2 no 137 I took the top off the gearbox of my MG2, both crown wheels are marked AV 9×34 with no other markings on the rims, makes me wonder if they are replacements for the original ones. Does anyone know if this is likely? At least I know that the brakes have plenty of life left in them!

I am trying to find the date of manufacture because the serial no is not readable on the registration plate.

expeatfarmer
    Participant

Should normally be a lot more numbers so guess you may be right re replacement.
    have a look on the underside of the gearbox lid or failing that take off the serial number plaque and see if the stamped number has marked the chassis. Failing that photograph the Plate and play around with edit on photoshop or similar and see if by adjusting contrast/tone etc you can recover the number.

trusty220
    Keymaster

Have a word with Dave Clark- he is running the Ransomes Register on the “Survivors” page. He was telling me the other week that the serial number is repeated somewhere inside the gearbox.

oddhatuk
    Participant

Thankyou for the replies, I will have a go at adjusting the contrast etc. on a photo. The underside of the gearbox cover was blank.

oddhatuk
    Participant

Thanks to expeatfarmer I now know the serial no of my MG2 it’s 1741 making it a 1945 machine,
    the photo method of enhancing the number worked well

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.