Info on Kuboto Mag GS 160

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Info on Kuboto Mag GS 160

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

I have the chance of obtaining a Ransomes Autocertes lawnmower at a very reasonable price. It is fitted with a Kuboto Mag GS 160 Engine which I know nowt about.
    I assume its probably 1990’s vintage but this is purely a guess.
    Anyone tell me anything about this unit? I am aware that the Auto certes is a good machine and would prefer one with a BSA Sloper engine for all its faults however beggars can’t be choosers.

wristpin
    Participant

Bear in mind that with a ten? bladed cylinder the Auto Cortes is not a “once a week” mower. They were designed for golf courses, bowing greens and grass tennis courts etc wher there is a daily mowing regime and don’t take kindly to a week’s worth of ryegrass!
    The Mag Kubota replaced a Briggs which had replaced the Sloper and has now itself been replaced by a Honda.
    In my opinion the Mag version always felt a bit top heavy, but that is just my personal opinion. However I do have two Sloper engined Marquises – 18 and 20 inch, a Honda engined Marquis 51 and a Kubota engined 51 all of which give the same sort of feel as a Certes.
    They are nice simple machines to work on and providing the one you have been offered has been properly maintained it shouldn’t hold any nasty surprises.
    One point to check is that the two rear roller sections move individually on their shaft and are not seized and only moving as one. If they are seized the machine won’t want to turn and will scuff the turf. Freeing off a seized roller without damaging it (£250 + vat a sectional) can be a right pain – I’ve just done one as the attached images show. Also recutting the grooves on worn smooth roller section!

Attachments:
    vhgmcbuddy

Thanks, that’s useful info, Best Wishes,
    Keith

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.