Howard Gem No Compression

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Gem No Compression

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi All,

Well my Howard Gem after a very good 40 mins of running well and me stopping to have a butty, now will not start. When I turn the handle it turns really easily like it does with the de-compression lever pulled. I have checked the the lever is releasing and it seems to be all ok. Very confused. The engine is a JAP 600 SV I believe.

I was hoping someone may have some advice.
    Kind Regards

vhgmcbuddy

The easiest thing to do is to pop the valve cover off and see that the valves aren’t stuck open. After that just remove the airshroud over the head and pop the head off and see what’s going on inside. Don’t worry about the head gasket as in almost every case these can be reused with a smear of jointing compound.

vhgmcbuddy

Hi, thanks for your reply. I don’t want to sound thick but I am only just getting to grips with these things and I’m not sure where exactly the valve cover is? Can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

hortiman
    Participant

In the days when we used to run one of these on our Nursery, we had to put upper cylinder lubricant (Redex) in with the fuel toprevent it happening.

vhgmcbuddy

So it is common then? Is it easy to release the valve?

vhgmcbuddy

Hi the valve cover is the little rectangular cover with a single bolt in the centre that holds the airshroud in place. It also has the word J.A.P in capital letters.

vhgmcbuddy

Fantastic I will take a look. Thank you very much for your help. I will let you know how I get on.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.