Howard Bantam Hot Start problems

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard Bantam Hot Start problems

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

Hi all.
    My Bantam is now running well thanks to the help here regarding rebuilding the Villiers V25C motor.
    One niggly problem that I can’t seem to solve, is that the motor just doesn’t like starting when hot.

Any tips or ideas? It goes first pull from cold, but just not when hot.

Thanks all,
    Jim

stuart
    Participant

Maybe the carb is set too rich ??.There is a correct length to set the tapered needle at in the throttle slide (using the brass screw on top of the slide).I will have a look in my Villiers MK25C book for the correct length if you think this may be your problem.

stuart
    Participant

OK just looked in my MK25C owners manual and the needle should be set at 2,3/8″ (two and three eighths inches) for the “Lightweight” carburettor.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks for that Stuart. I thought I had set the needle correctly, but its worth checking.
    Can you give me a step-by-step so I don’t have to do it wrong more than twice?
    🙂

stuart
    Participant

Just unscrew the knurled / chrome top on top of the carburettor and pull the throttle slide out of the body.In the centre of the slide there is a small brass screw with a slot in it.Screwing it in lengthens the needle making a weaker mixture and unscrewing it richens the mixture.Set the needle to 2,3/8″ out from where it exits the bottom of the throttle slide.The Villiers handbook says a little adjustment either way may be required.

vhgmcbuddy

Great thanks. Makes perfect sense. I will adjust it tomorrow.

vhgmcbuddy

So I checked the needle and it was set at 2.5″
    I adjusted it to 2 3/8 and when started it was VERY smokey and wouldn’t start, so I suspect too rich. Perhaps it should be somewhere in between. I will try splitting the difference, but that extra 1/8 does seem to be most of the travel in the lean-wards direction.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.