Howard 300 rotovator

Home Forums The Machinery Forums Pedestrian operated machines Howard 300 rotovator

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    vhgmcbuddy

When I got it started a couple days ago I could put it into first gear ok but it wouldn’t go into second or reverse. I thought that was because it was ticking over a wee bit fast, I need to adjust the throttle cable get it sitting in the right position as I took it off and just put it back on quick. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

stuart
    Participant

When the clutch lever is released on the handles the drive belt should release from the pulleys and the large transmission input pulley should stop turning.Only select gear when the pulley is stationary otherwise you are going to damage the gears in the gearbox / transmission (they may already be damaged though if its been used like this :(:(:(:().

vhgmcbuddy

Stuart
    when I tried it the input pulley kept turning so I am going to release the cable a bit and let the tensioner go back further and see what happens. Hopefully that should do the trick with luck.

stuart
    Participant

BTW when you select reverse gear on the 300 / 350 / 352 models you have to physically hold the gear lever in its position all the time as its spring loaded.As soon as you release the lever the machine will come to a halt.Its a safety feature.Let us know if the cable adjustment makes any difference.

vhgmcbuddy

Managed to get a quick look at it today. Dont think adjusting the cable is going to help as even when the cable is fully loosened its still the same. There does appear to be a make shift brake of sorts that’s meant to stop the pulley wheel but is worn. I have managed to temp fix it but needing a stronger spring I think that will do the trick.
    It also needs a kill switch fitted as it nearly took off today with me holding on for dear life. I managed to get it into 1st, 2nd and reverse as well so that was good although even that is needing some adjustments as the gear lever as it keeps popping out but think I may be able to fix fingers crossed.
    Is there oil level on the gear box? Cant seem to find it.

stuart
    Participant

The oil level screw is on the RH side of the chaincase (look in the area behind the wheel).To check the oil level remove the screw and tip the machine forwards (lift the handles up) so its resting on the engine platform.If oil level is correct it should trickle out the hole.Use SAE80/90 grade oil.

vhgmcbuddy

Thanks Stuart.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.